Sign in to follow this  

Help with finding a Camcorder...

I'm trying to find a Canon or Sony miniDV camcorder to work with a helmet cam.

My problem is I got this HUGE list of camcorders (that have Lanc & AV input) from www.helmetcamera.com but many of them are discontinued models! Some of the ones that are available (in my price range) are "refurbished" camcorders that are discontinued. ARRRRR :cry:

Anyone have good luck buying a "refurbished" unit?

Can anyone recommend a GOOD camera web site that will allow me to select the camcorder options and price range that I want?

All I'm looking for is the cheapest "non-refurbished" Canon or Sony camera with AV input and LANC - no more than that....

I really don't want to spend more than $350 on a camcorder.

I saw another post that says this is a good basic camcorder with the inputs needed:

JVC GR-DX77 Mini DV Camcorder, 12x Optical / 700x Digital Zoom, Color Viewfinder, 2.5" LCD Screen

I have seen it on the net for as cheap as 300.00

If you are considering other models besides Sony..

Ok, I checked all the miniDV camcorders at Best Buy. They have only 1 that might work at the $500 price range --- Sony DCR-HC30. My "list" says it does have the AV and LANC input (good), but it says "SPECIAL" for input type (not so good). I'm thinking this means special type of connector. Most camcorders have RCA or 3.5mm connectors... not sure about the "special" :cry: Best Buy doesn't offer any specs on the camera either to verify the AV and LANC.

I'll check out JVC too... :cry:

I saw another post that says this is a good basic camcorder with the inputs needed:

JVC GR-DX77 Mini DV Camcorder, 12x Optical / 700x Digital Zoom, Color Viewfinder, 2.5" LCD Screen

I have seen it on the net for as cheap as 300.00

If you are considering other models besides Sony..

I just picked that model up after seeing somebody else on TT suggest it. With the $100 rebate it's a great deal and it'll work with the helmetcamrea.com setup. It's good camera and for that price it's an awesome camera.

Ok, I checked all the miniDV camcorders at Best Buy. They have only 1 that might work at the $500 price range --- Sony DCR-HC30. My "list" says it does have the AV and LANC input (good), but it says "SPECIAL" for input type (not so good). I'm thinking this means special type of connector. Most camcorders have RCA or 3.5mm connectors... not sure about the "special" :cry: Best Buy doesn't offer any specs on the camera either to verify the AV and LANC.

I'll check out JVC too... :cry:

I've got the DCR-HC20 and love it.

I bought mine off Ebay as a refurb... for $250 and never looked back.

The only thing that's special about it is... the low cost. :cry: The cord to plug in is special for output, but most all camcorders are.

It's just a great camera for the price... especially when I had a $1500 camcorder that did everything... and I only used about 3 of the options!

I use mine for all my helmet camera action! And yes, it's LANC function works as it should.

Good luck.

I've got the DCR-HC20 and love it.

I bought mine off Ebay as a refurb... for $250 and never looked back.

The only thing that's special about it is... the low cost. :cry: The cord to plug in is special for output, but most all camcorders are.

It's just a great camera for the price... especially when I had a $1500 camcorder that did everything... and I only used about 3 of the options!

I use mine for all my helmet camera action! And yes, it's LANC function works as it should.

Good luck.

The information that I found for the HC20 is that it doesn't have AV In; only out.. but that was from an eBay listing so it could be wrong; or maybe an earlier model... I too am looking for the right camcorder with RCA AV in and LANC support and not having to pay $800-$1000 or more

its dang hard

yeh the hc30 is a step up from the 20 so it will have more stuff. You'll need to get a firewire board for the pc if you dont already have a firewire port on it. That "special" A/V is firewire.

The optical zoom on it is kind of low for a camcorder, but if your doing the helmet cam thing it doesnt matter. And I dont think it takes the lanc input, but it does have a wireless remote so that may turn out to be better way to control it anyhow.

yeh the hc30 is a step up from the 20 so it will have more stuff. You'll need to get a firewire board for the pc if you dont already have a firewire port on it. That "special" A/V is firewire.

The optical zoom on it is kind of low for a camcorder, but if your doing the helmet cam thing it doesnt matter. And I dont think it takes the lanc input, but it does have a wireless remote so that may turn out to be better way to control it anyhow.

It does have LANC according to the Sony site; which you really need IMO; wireless won't work when the camera is tucked away in my fanny pack.

Some units come with a wired remote, but I can't see using them as they don't work as well as a remote made specifically for sporting activity such as the Cam Eye II which is small and meant to be worn on your index finger. That way you can operate the button with one hand by hitting the button with your thumb; without even removing your hand from the handlebar or taking your eyes off the trail.. best way to go in my book