Sign in to follow this  

2002 400 EXC -- should I buy?

I just ran across an 02 KTM 400 EXC. The asking price is $3600. Is that a good price? Are there any problems with 02 models? Does this bike have wide gearing, ala XR and WR? Has anyone converted one to dual sport?

Great bike! Its a good price depending on the condition and any improvements from stock. I dualsport mine. I don't race. I just ride.

Ask if its had the jetting and accelerator pump mods done. You can search for discussions on this. Otherwise, just change the oil frequently and you'll love it.

Ditto. That is a good price, assuming the bike is in decent shape. It is a super trail bike, with a wide ratio tranny that can handle everything. I run 13/52 gearing which covers everything from goat trails to 60+mph on the highway. The 02s had a few issues that you should ask about, or check yourself.

1. WP seals are prone to leak after extended use.

2. Have cam gear updated to 03 specs.

Otherwise, with decent upkeep, the bike is rock solid. Mine is plated and has nearly 5k miles. Looking forward to many more years of reliable service too.

R

Thanks guys! The bike looks mint. I need to double check on the details. It does have a skid plate, hand guards, and a pipe w/ spark arrestor (forgot which brand). I didn't even know I was in the market for one until I saw it.

This cam gear ... is it a performance or a reliability issue? And can the seals be replaced with more durable ones?

Now for the tough part ... Anyone want to buy a ZX-7?

I just sold my 02 400exc with 10k miles on it. All original except for normal wear items. I just hope my 04 400 is half as good.

Don't mess with the water pump unless it leaks. Some of the VERY early 02's and prior had failures of the cam bearings and the decompressor gear stop bolt. You might inspect these items and update to the 03 gear and replace the bearings. If you do so update the water pump to the later version seals and replace the lower chain guide with the newer version with a screen.

You won't regret purchasing the 400. It may be one of the best all around trail bikes ever made. :cry:

I have a 02 400 with a very recent 453 and all the above mentioned upgrades for sale and nobody seems to want it.I have had it at the bike shop for a month,on Ebay 3000$ min bid.and no luck. :cry: