Sign in to follow this  

is my plug sapouse to look like this

hey im dont really know what a 4-stroke plug is sapouse to look like so heres a few pics of mine? and also i just changed the plug and cut out my air filter screen so that made it even more leaner? is this not goo. i know there its not that white but with my 2-smoke experience that white isnt good haha.

[image]DSC01914.jpg[/image]

[image]DSC01911.jpg[/image]

[image]DSC01910.jpg[/image]

yer pics are not that good to try and determine anything from them. besides, you are obviousally using pump gas and therefore a plug reading is all but useless. for pump swill, your plug looks ok. the fact is, you don't want ANY carbon or color on the plug. quality fuel and perfect jetting will give you a plug that looks as good after 5 tanks of fuel as a brand new plug out of the box (ie NO change). if anything, yer still rich, but the temps will soon be coming into your favor.

the middle pic is the only one where I can tell the color of the ceramic. It looks ok to me, but it still needs to be zoomed in on for sure.

the metal body portion will always have dark colored soot on it.

I can't help it.....

sapouse = supposed

Sunruh, at what temp do you think I should go up on the main?

put your screen back in. it does nothing to take it out. if your bike is jetted properly it will produce the max power with the screen in or out. and the factory wouldnt put it in unless they felt you needed it. plus its just protection from dirt. all these garage tech mechanics tring to "free up" horse power are going to mess peoples bikes up.

Sunruh, at what temp do you think I should go up on the main?

chris,

a good rule of thumb is this:

once you get it dialed in perfect, note that temp.

then for every 12-13F temp change (15 would be ok as well), go up or down a main jet size.

so if you have it perfect for 95F, go up one size for 82F and down one for 107F. if pressure, humidity and fuel all stay the same. these motors are *extremely* forgiving with the jetting as clearly evident in what they ship with from the factory.

as you have seen, close is one thing, perfect jetting is another step above. :cry::cry:

hey thanks alot i plan on getting a new jet kit and the top end rebuilt and the valves adjusted over the winter because it is a 01 and who know how much the guy before me took care of it.

The truth is that since lead was removed from gas, white is just about the only color you're going to see in a four-stroke unless you start burning oil or leave the choke on.

Reading plugs isn't as easy as it used to be, nor is it as accurate an indication of a good or bad air/fuel ratio.

All the plugs we have run over the last 4 years in the 250F's have been tan. We dont run leaded fuel, and even when running the toluene mix for the last year they still come out tan.