Sign in to follow this  

Getting around sales tax on new bike?

How do you do this? If i have a family member in SC and he buys the bike and they somehow deliver it do i get exempt? What if they just say they delivered it? How does this work, i herd a few companies got in trouble for this before but i was wandering about it?

Most states collect sales tax when you register a bike. If you have already paid it in another state, you generally do not have to pay it again. If the bike has not previously been registered in another state, your state will collect it when you license it. One way to get around it is to license it in a no tax state, such as New Hampshire, and then later "move" to a state with sales tax.

In states where you do not register an off road vehicle (atv or dirt bike), you may get away without paying the tax if you bought it in another state. Techincally, or legally, most states require you to pay it as a "use tax" but don't have the mechanism to enforce it. The "use tax" is also supposed to be paid on all out of state purchases, such as internet purchases, although few people actually pay it.

I bought my in the crate '02 CRF450 from Honda of Troy. No sales tax, no prep, just $227 shipping. Taxes alone would have been around $450, prep another $300 or more, so I saved around $525 and picked it up at the airport. :cry:

Legally they are supposed to deliver it across the state line into NC. ( not sure of the exact law ). :cry:

Just go down to SC and get one. :cry: :cry:

My best SC deal and no tax on my 04 CRF = $1200 savings over the best NC deal. No brainer here!!!

Here in Kaliforniastan, in order for a dealer to avoid paying sales tax, he has to do some DMV paperwork and include a shipper's receipt with a bill of lading. The dealer can also personally deliver it to the border as long as he provides gas receipts, and preferably, a signed statement from a border agent. A resident can avoid paying sales tax on a bike they brought in, by showing that they had the bike out of state for at least 3 months

I pulled the spark plug wire off my bike while I was buying it. Called the owner out of the garage and said, "This thing won't run, see?"

He agreed, with a smile, wondering what I was up to.

"How about you put 'as is/will not run' right here on the title."

He did. It worked. :cry: :cry: