Sign in to follow this  

Cold Weather Edelbrock Blues

I recently installed a edelbrock carb and full yosh system on my 2001S. I love the new found power & throttle response, but I am not loving getting my bike started in the cold weather. I know I should have expected this when I bought a carb with no choke, but it sounded like most people were able to blip the throttle a few times and they were good to go. Now with the weather here in Wisconsin dipping into the 50s & even 40s in the mornings, the throttle blip thing isn't cutting it for me. The bike always starts, but quickly dies. I have to repeat this several (4-5) times before I can get the bike to idle & warm up. I am wondering if I should have spent the extra money on an FCR with a choke :cry: Anybody have any ideas or am I screwed? BTW I have the stock (middle) needle in and I am 3 clicks out from fully closed, so I should be plenty rich. I still have quite a bit of popping on decel through.... :cry:

maybe if you adjust the idle down alot you'd be choking off the air supply?

just a thought, it wont hurt to try it. My fcr has a quick adjuster for the idle so easy to reach

It just doesnt sound right 3 clicks from closed

granted I'm CA and really dont ride and lower than 40 or 50 degrees and I'm at about 1200 ft but all the way to 6000 but 3 clicks from closed sounds very rich and mine didnt pop, it was very smooth on decel. Did you try and call Rob Barnum? I would open my throttle all the way 3 times and then it started everytime. You sure you dont have any air leaks? Did you take your bowl off and make sure everything is clean and working? Mine ran just great at around 14 clicks out (each turn is 4 clicks) Have you gone up in altitude? Does it Pop less as you climb?

Sometimes I might have to hold my throttle iopen a hair while it warmed up but no stalling

I would take that carb apart and make sure it is clean (I found sand in mine once) I trust your air filter is clean and your exhaust fits properly

I took your advice and called Rob Barnum today. I told him about my situation and how yours and my settings were so different. He said that with the excessive popping and hard cold starting I am definately lean even at 3 clicks. He said that it is not unusual for two people to have such different settings. He suggested I first check my float level, and if that looks ok I should go up to the next richer needle. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Thanks again for passing on his name.