Sign in to follow this  

Putting 2003 cam into my 2002, any last words?

I'm going to do it when the weather gets a little colder, and the bike goes down for the winter. Maybe about a month or so. I got the cam and I'm ready to go? Any famous last tips from you pros??

Thanks in advance guys......you to Sean.. :cry:

Take your time. I can't tell you anything that you already have'nt read in the FAQ. Enjoy the moment. Your learning about your bike and how it works. It'll make you feel good when you done. Both your pride and your leg. Good luck.

Get a magnetic pick-up tool. It looks like a radio antenna with a magnet. It telescopes out to about 18" or so. It will work great for when you drop the timing chain into the motor. But really, be careful removing the cam caps there is a 1/2 round clip that keeps the cam in place that can fall into the motor when removing the cap. Get a 1/4" torque wrench in inch lbs. Don't torque the cap bolts past 80 inch lbs. And last, lube the hell out of everything when putting it back together. OIL AND LUBRICATION IS YOUR FRIEND!!!! Have fun with it. Its pretty easy.. If all else fails... Thumper FAQ has great pics and step by step.... :cry: