Sign in to follow this  

regreasing steering stem and shock linkage

well i just sent my back wheel of to east coast wheels, and i won't have it back for at least a week and a half, so i decided i'll tear into some things i've never attempted before. i've read that some of you guys have drilled and tapped for grease zerks on the stem and linkage. i work in a machine shop, so that part won't be too hard, but is the part about taking the swing arm off, and steering head apart hard? any ideas and input is much appreciated. :cry:

I have been very intimidated with tearing apart my bike :cry: because I always seem to have extra parts, breaking something, or forgetting how it went back together. :cry:

Well, All my buddies pretty much work on there bikes and help me when I need help. :cry:

Got tired on relying on people so I decided to do EXACTLY what you mentioned. I happened to buy the latests issue of Motocross action or Trans world. It had some tech tips on how to do the linkage and steering stem.

The linkage was a cake. Just remember what bolt goes where. Be careful with the bearings.

Then I decided to attack the steering stem. Was a little nervous about this becaise of the forks. Well I just followed what it mentioned in the magazine and did pretty good with the exception that the top steering stem bearing flew up in the air. :cry:

Everything went good. took it for a ride and was pretty darn proud of what I accomplished.

Now I am tearing into my sons engine after he Hydro locked in this past weekend. Gonna have my buddy help with cracking the case and making sure it all works again.

You can do it. :cry:

thanks miante. i'm sure i can do it, i'll just take my time and do it right. its not like i don't have time to waste. i'm just worried about getting stuff in there when i drill and tap for the zerks. any advice on that?

No, it's not really hard...if ya know some of the principles of how the bike is put together...if ya have a decent set of hand tools and know how to use them...a good soft headed mallet or two...and a desire to be patient and learn.

Get a service manual if ya can. It won't do the work for ya, but will/may offer some helpful info. And, if you can print or download an exploded view of the areas your working on, that would be very helpful. Those exploded views can be found at Ron Ayer's Motorsports web site.

www.ronayers.com And then click on 'fiche' and go to your model bike.

Examining, cleaning, greasing, learning...you'll probably be OK if you stick with it. Punching out bearings & seals without some good idea of how & why....well, you could do more harm than good.

Read and get well acquainted with the as much paper information as possible, and when you think you understand how things work and go together.....go for it. That's how you learn, and have fun doing it.

That's sorta how I got going years ago. Except sometimes I took things apart with little to no info. No computers, or internet, or great forums like TT back then.

Good Luck.

SSR :cry:

i'm just worried about getting stuff in there when i drill and tap for the zerks. any advice on that?

When drilling, put a spot of grease on the metal and drill slowly. The grease traps most of the metal shavings. Add more grease as needed. Use a sharp drill bit.

+sean

Just giving you a heads up, there is going to be a 99.7% chance you will need new bearings on all your suspension. If you haven’t done this yet, grease the fittings and you use any from of pressurized water to wash your bike, there is a high probability they are already rusted.

Honda doesn’t put any grease on those parts. Its one of the first things I do when I get a new Honda.

Zerk fittings are cool, but not really necessary. Use good sturdy grease and check it every six months. To disassemble the rear suspension isn’t really hard, you may need a breaker bar, the factory installs the suspension over the torque rating. In other words King Kong tight.

what is the ballpark price for all the bearings and seals for the suspension. do you think i'll need to replace the bearings and seals in the steering stem too?

The stem should be good just sans grease. It doesn’t get the abuse that the lowers get. Start first and inspect. You could be better then both my bikes were. if you do need parts try ebay for a week. here is one set already up http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2492982820&category=35592&sspagename=WDVW I have replaced the entire linkage off ebay for $75 then you have a spare. Either a lot of people turn the 450 to a Quad or they are stolen and parted out. Either way there is usually a few linkages on there.

The rear bearings usually go for around $80 I am not sure if that includes the swing arm bearing.

NOTE: Swing arm removal and installation - at the engine cases the swing arm support is wider in the rear then towards the front. The swing can be removed with a rubber mallet by first removing the swing arm pivot shaft, then use the mallet and tap straight down on the swing arm. Watch for brake lines and mounts. The swing arm will come right out.

Installing you will need to use the mallet to tap the swing arm into the mount first, by positioning the swing arm over the top of the engine mount and between the frame spars once there it will easily move into position.

They are in the race with only the grease holding them. There is an outer collar held in by the seal, a roller bushing that keeps the needle bearings in the race. When disassembling the linkage be careful to slide the inner bearing to the side. Best done on bench over a rag or cloth to collect the needle bearing if they should slide out.

I hope this image helps you with what I am trying to describe

linkage.gif

This style bearing is consistent with the entire linkage assembly.