Sign in to follow this  

KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY

Have severe osteo-arthritis in my knees which causes me great discomfort. The only med that has really worked in the past to help me deal with the pain, was Vioxx. And now that is gone. I have been on Celebrex for a week now, and pain levels have increased. Spoke to my ortho yesterday, and discussed knee replacement surgery. Doc says after surgery my dirt, atv and sport bike riding are completely out, as well as scuba. Anyone out there had knee replacement surgery and still riding, or very active? If so what were your experiences from the beginning to now? Thanks in advance...

i don't know about your case as everyone is different but my wife works in an atletic club and there are a lot of older members that have artificial knees as well as hips and they still down hill ski and swim. me thinks your doc is being very conservative and you KNEED<grin a second opinion. what part of the country do you live in?

BTW, about 6 years ago i had both my shoulders reconstructed do to a very bad rafting accident and i still ride and i still race motocross and i still paddle my whitewater kayak and raft. my shoulders work just fine but for awhile i had my doubts. i had a good doc. do your research. find a sports medicine doc. mine was also a kayaker so she understood the necesity that my shoulders work properly.

Kaptain Kaos :cry:

Some doctors are extremely conservative (my dad is one and can't understand why I would want to ride dirtbikes--he sees too many injuries to understand the risk). You should definately see a sports specific orthopaedist and tell him/her what you want to do. They will be more understanding and probably more realistic.

You should definately see a sports specific orthopaedist and tell him/her what you want to do. They will be more understanding and probably more realistic.

I agree. Get away from the geriatric ortho, and get with someone who works on athletes. BTW memory tells me a knee replacement is basically putting "caps" on the end of the leg bones in the joint

I've been due for a knee replacement for years and still won't do it!!!! I know for a fact if I had it done and then sat at the house I would go nuts!!! I would rather be in pain and have fun then to be out of pain sitting on my butt. That is just my .02 worth....... :cry:

This is a little off the subject but, has anyone tried those glucosamine/chondroitine (sp?) pills. They're supposed to help the joints and cartilidge. GNC and Target sells them in the vitamin aisle. They seem kinda pricey. Are they worth it? :cry:

Get a new Doctor. I have had 7 knee surgeries ( 2 reconstructions and 5 scopes, just had a scope 10 days ago) and my doctors know I am active and will contine to be. I know people that have had hips and knee replaced here in Jackson Hole, WY and they ski the steepest hill in the lower 48 five days a week and keep coming back for more. It is ALL in the rehab. Stick with it. Call the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Co. or get a hold of the doctors on the staff at Stanford Univeristy. There is life after knee replacement, you just have to make it happen and dont let the conservative doctors afraid of malpractice tell you how to run your life. Good luck

Knee and Hip replacement surgery is what I do for a living.

Well, Im not a doctor, but I work for a company that sells the Knee and Hip implants.

Our distribuitor has just come out with a new product that signifigantly reduces recovery time (from months to just weeks) its called "Quad-Sparing". As far as how active you can be after surgery, I cant tell you that but if you HAVE to have a T-Knee then this looks to be a great option.

How old are you trikdrz?

A total hip or knee is not something anyone wants to have done ever unless you just cant stand the pain anymore.

Good luck.

Those ortho guys have a thing against bikers but we keep them in business. Get a second opinion or ask about steroid injections.

the problem is how the device attaches to the bone. One hard jolt can take out just about any joint replacements.

I also see skiers with joint replacements, but they are smooth and certainly do not ski really hard, though they may be off the groomed or on the steeps.

With your feet on the pegs you would probably be fine, but I would never stick out a foot that has a replaced joint attached

good luck

Those ortho guys have a thing against bikers but we keep them in business. Get a second opinion or ask about steroid injections.

Actually, its the geezers (80+) that keep us in business hands down. :cry:

Last I heard, those artifical knee/hip joints

wear out after about 10 years. Probably the doc

recommends less active lifestyle to so the darn

thing will last a while.

If you have got more than 20 years left to live,

I'd think hard about getting a joint replacement.

Going through that every 10 years would stink.

Last I heard, those artifical knee/hip joints

wear out after about 10 years. Probably the doc

recommends less active lifestyle to so the darn

thing will last a while.

If you have got more than 20 years left to live,

I'd think hard about getting a joint replacement.

Going through that every 10 years would stink.

Yep. CC58 is right on the money.

Sometimes they dont even last 10 years. Its the polyethlyene inserts that wear out and need to be replaced or as we call it "revised".

Our product that replaced the conventional polyethelyene 3 years ago is called Durasul or Longevity.

Its basically polyethelyene that has been specially treated to withstand higher wear and last longer.

Dont ask me how they treat it to last longer, I dont know,(although Im sure we have brochures around here on it) but I do know Ive read clinical studies where it lasted 10 times as long as conventional polyethelyene.

I am also extremely interested in this as I am ready for surgery #7 in a few days. From my understanding, the deal is that as a function of knee replacement the old joint must be removed (bone, ligaments, cartlidge) and the replacement cemented in its place. This replacement requires that X amount of bone be removed for the placement.

There are two different issues present:

You have a limited amount of bone with which to properly seat the prostetic knee. You only have enough bone to have a replacement and then 1 retrofit (2 total).

The second issue is that apparently friction is the prostetic knee killer (kinda funny based upon all the lubricant discussions we fight about on this site). Friction kills the fake pieces and they degrade.

My understanding is that technology is coming along way though. I have heard that carbon fiber is now going through trials (or actually being used???) and it has superior low friction qualities.

Conventional surgery wisdom here but here goes....If you can wait five years they will probably find a better solution or better alternative to repairing what you've done. When I had my first reconstruction it looked like I had gotten into a fight with a chainsaw. Now they are getting closer to a scope surgery with how invasive they need to be.

Thank you for shopping XXX Medical Center...Will it be Stainless, Titanium, or Carbon Fiber for you sir?

I am also extremely interested in this as I am ready for surgery #7 in a few days. From my understanding, the deal is that as a function of knee replacement the old joint must be removed (bone, ligaments, cartlidge) and the replacement cemented in its place. This replacement requires that X amount of bone be removed for the placement.

Not all implants are cemented into place. Its up to the doctors discresion. Some are non-porus (Cemented, as you mentioned) and some are porous witch allow the bone to actually grow into the metal. Like I said, it depends on witch method the doc thinks is best for you.

The second issue is that apparently friction is the prostetic knee killer (kinda funny based upon all the lubricant discussions we fight about on this site). Friction kills the fake pieces and they degrade.

My understanding is that technology is coming along way though. I have heard that carbon fiber is now going through trials (or actually being used???) and it has superior low friction qualities.

Ive never heard about carbon fiber being used yet but as heavy as the implants are I would say carbon fiber would definatly be a big advantage. The femoral component weighs about 2 lbs, tibia - 1 lb. - so adding 3 mabye 4 lbs to one leg should make a noticeable difference.

We have a hip system that incorporates metal on metal in witch the artifical replacemnt for the femoral head (metal) is inserted into the cup placed into the acetablum (metal) and there have been cases where after patients have this surgery they never need a hip replacment.

Mabye someday they will figure out a way to incorporate that into knee surgery too but then you are back to the drawing board with the weight issue.

Conventional surgery wisdom here but here goes....If you can wait five years they will probably find a better solution or better alternative to repairing what you've done. When I had my first reconstruction it looked like I had gotten into a fight with a chainsaw. Now they are getting closer to a scope surgery with how invasive they need to be.

Thank god they will doing t-knees with a scope before I need one! :cry: