Sign in to follow this  

Wet or Dry??

When I was working on #6 and #343 bikes during the rain delay at Reno, one of the head AMA officials rode by. I waved him down and asked him if there was a possibility we would run in the wet. He said absolutely not, so I then asked him why. His explanation to me was the ONLY reason we were not running in the wet was because there was no rain tires available at the track! He told me that was the one and only reason...not because of stripes or mud or whatever.

Now my question...what does what the tire suppliers have on hand have anything to do with when we run a race? I understand that wet conditions can cause some hazards, but I was under the understanding that this was part of SM.

I was there prepared to run the team bikes under whatever conditions...my rains were in the rack if needed. If the tire suppliers ran out of rains during a wet weekend of RRing, would they call the race?

If that is the case, I will leave my rains at the shop and use the rack space for fair weather racing. Tdub

His explanation to me was the ONLY reason we were not running in the wet was because Dunlop did not bring any rain tires!

I was pitted in the box van by your tailgate (Husaberg #9), and I had a similar conversation with the same AMA official. At Reno, we would have had no business racing in the wet, mainly due to the hazards of the street course (metal grates, manhole covers, reflective stripes, etc.) At a place like South Boston, it's because the track has poor drainage, and water pools up on the pavement. I'm pretty sure they'd let us race in the wet at a track like Copper Mountain, because it would probably shed standing water pretty well. Dirt section ? That's a different story. There's not really a 17" tire made that wouldn't load up with the dirt that we race on, if it were wet. So that's probably out :cry:

Personally, I'd like to see wet races. As the owner of a small team which competes against mega-dollar operations, I'd view a wet race as an equalizer. It happens in MotoGP all the time, some relatively unknown rider with big ba11s will podium in the wet. Maybe in Supermoto too ?

Cheers,

Brett

When I was working on #6 and #343 bikes during the rain delay at Reno

#6 doesn't need rain tires. When it was POURING down rain at Fontana he smoked everybody. I actually mentioned that to him while we were waiting during the rain delay and he said that was the most fun he's ever had on a Supermoto bike.

"There's not really a 17" tire made that wouldn't load up with the dirt that we race on, if it were wet."

We have been using 17" rain tires(and 16"ers before that) on small DTers for several years. You might be surprised how well the work!

Then maybe AMA needs to make the decision ahead of time so everyone can prepare. Let us know which tracks will or will not run wet. Alot of people would have been caught unprepared if they decided to run Reno wet!

That's retarded! A scheduled race should take place damn near regardless of the situation....Barring a natural disaster, or the track being unridable

Maybe it was cancelled because the seats were empty and they wouln't have made as much money.

That's just my two cents.

Maybe it was cancelled because the seats were empty and they wouln't have made as much money.

That's just my two cents.

What was cancelled? Did I miss something?

Rain or Shine is what I thought it was all about, at Grange in feb 04 and When it was POURING down rain at Fontana the last race on sat. the beginer class voted to run in the rain in the stagging area, it was great time! do it again anytime :cry:

The AMA should tell everybody to be perpared to run in the rain. At most tracks it should be no problems and is a lot of fun I am for it. But Reno with all the oil on the pavement and all the hazards that they had it would not have been safe at all. :cry:

Darrick

wet.... hmmmm i thought supermoto was stand for the super motocyclist the one who can do everything on every surface... :cry:

pics from Greece

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMGP3945.JPG

from Italy

1780.jpg

1788.jpg

wet.... hmmmm i thought supermoto was stand for the super motocyclist the one who can do everything on every surface... :cry:

pics from Greece

you got that right.... :cry:

Dunlop equals $$$ can you say green injection ...... :cry:

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMGP3945.JPG

from Italy

1780.jpg

1788.jpg

Wait 'til you see the concrete wall at the end of the 100 MPH front straight at South Boston. :cry:

See you guys this weekend.

Mike

:cry: