Iron Man Sprockets SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Bolts won't stay tight!!!!!!!!

I have had 2!!!! Iron Man Sprockets come loose on my CRF450 ? The first time it ruined my rear hub and gouged the hell out of my swingarm! Then I put another one on and it did the same Gdamn thing ??? Both times I put brand new factory sprocket bolt kits on with ample Red Loctite!! I also was constanly checking the bolts to make sure that they were tight. Both times I had been riding for less than half an hour and the Gdamn bolts came loose ? The 2nd time it wadded up the sprocket, gouged my swingarm (again!), wadded up my chain and broke my case guard and bent my shift shaft!! I am convinced that these sprockets are too damn hard for the bolts to properly seat in them!! BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going back to TAG sprockets!! ?

I've been runing Ironman sprockets for 2 years, now. I had a heck of a time with loostening bolts, too. After breaking a rear hub and spokes, I asked my fellow Thumpertalkers for advice. The Yamaha bolts worked!! I sprayed them down with brake cleaner, put blue loctite on and tightened like hell. (Tighten the nuts not the bolts.) That setup came loose once, after the first ride. I retightened it and it has stayed completely snug for the last 8 months! I hope that helps.

About your tubes:

If you've had 6 punctured tubes in a month, take the rubber strip or tape off the inside of your rim and inspect the spoke nipples. You have probably tightened one or more spokes to the point that it is protruding into the inside of the rim, puncturing your tube. Done that, myself. Agravating...You'll need to adjust the spokes or grind the offending spoke tips off, if the rim is out of round.

Let me know how it shakes out.

riponfire...I just gotta say what you posted is...dumb. Ironman sprockets ain't the problem. You should have said "OMG HONDA SUXORS THE BOLTS WONT STAY TIGHT"....

Geesh...obviously some of the honda bolts are bad, but I have been using the oem bolts on my Ironman and have never had one come loose. In fact they are the original oem bolts that came new on the bike...

I use blue loctite only. Sounds like user error to me, tightening them TOO much and stretching the threads.

Maybe you should have said "my mechanical skills suck". ? :cry: ?

I had my stock bolts come loose also. Broke my hub and gouged by swing etc up. I was tightening them before every ride ?. After inspection of my hub I realized that the holes had actually wore themselves oblong ?. When I got a new wheel and put the ironman sprocket I ordered the talon sprocket bolts from the TT store. These were reccomended by somebody on TT. I used red locktite and tightened down good. I have not had any problems since. I have not re-tightened as I do not want to break the locktite seal. I personally think it is all about the bolts. Get some good quality strong bolts and you should not have any problems. ?

ROF,

1. Make sure you only tighten the nut.

2. Make sure the nut is going on straight, no crossing.

3. Make sure your chain tension is within spec (please re-read the manual, many people have Waayy too much play)

I have front and rear Ironmans, using the original stock bolts/nuts, no locktite, for ~1yr now. I check them reguarly and have had absolutely no problems.

Don ?

I'm with DonO, have had the Ironman front and rear sproket with OEM bolts securing the set up. No issues over the last 5 months. I used the blue loctite and check them almost everytime I go riding. They haven't loosened on me yet. I think I will purchase a set of the Yamaha bolts, just to have around for the next sprocket. Good tip guys, Thanks.

well it sure brightens my day to see this thread. i just ordered a set of ironmans not hearing one bad thing about them and then i see this AFTER i order them. so as long as i dont cross thread or overtighten then i should be fine with the stock bolts? cuz i really dont feel like tearing my hub and swingarm to hell. and how much does a set of sprocket bolts run?

WHOODA THUNK IT???!! A high spirited discussion on something OTHER than what oil to use in the CRF!!!!! ?

Guys, riponfire, I was not ripping 'ya too hard... ?

Re-reading, it sounded bad...doh!

As far as my leg pic, that baby stays until I can ride again, as a reminder WHY I am not riding... ?