Sign in to follow this  

Finally a success story

I got some help from you guys last couple of months and got an old 1990 xr80 running great. I think it might keep up with my TTR 125 on the straight :cry:

It took a 88 head, a coil which I rigged a 6volt condenser to, points cleaning and adjusted the valves. The new carburetor was needed after I destroyed the original. But it only cost $68 and last Saturday night it all came together and I was flying. I drilled a few holes in the air box and I just can't believe how fast this little thing goes. I got tears in my eyes :cry:

Hard work and a great forum like Thumpertalk surely makes a difference, sure I could of dropped it off somewhere to have it fixed but after all said and done $225. And that includes a box of NGK CR6HSA plugs. The only problem is Im not fowling plugs anymore :cry:

Heck I traded a winch for the thing and the winch was going bad anyway and the guy I traded the bike for knew the xr80 was junk so we swapped and I got two motorcycles now :cry:

one other thing this is my first bike every to get running so some of you reading this know how great Im feeling right now.

Thanks again

Karl

Hey you say you drilled some holes in the air box, and I was just wondering where abouts you drill holes where water wont get in and it will make a difference (does it make a difference?). I'm a bit sceptical about drilling holes in something aswell.

John

The usual consenses is to drill the holes in the top...under the seat. that way you get good airflow and you lower the chances of water getting in.

Hello

I drilled three holes, two at the top corners, and one big one dead center. The flap inside was razored out and now its like ram air induction I guess. I completely understand the water concerns, and when I ride its always dry and washing the bike will be done with care.

I have to cross a creek to ride and if its rained then Im out of luck due to no truck. :cry: