Desert riding with a 4speed Tranny

Hi, I was hoping that you guys who do desert riding with your 450 could give me some input as far as the 4speed tranny is concerned. I ride at Ocotillo and Glamis, I'm sure the 4speed would be fine at Glamis but at Ocotillo it's not all that uncommon to have some high speed runs in 5th. Whats your guys opinion on the 4speed?

I ride the desert quite a bit. When I got the bike, I decided to drop 2 teeth off the rear (actually, I could'nt get a 46 without doing a SO, so I went to a 15/49. It's the same ratio) This gave me a 1st gear almost exactly like a YZ426, and a 4th that is just a bit lower than the 5th on a 426. The "paper" top speed against the rev limit is 92, but of course, that doesn't account for tire slippage, etc.

4th is high enough for most things except those long, graded access roads. Like MX gearing for most bikes usually is.

I went from an 02 wr to an 03 yz and i only notice it on long straights where friends on KX500's geared up go flying by me! Most of the times i'm hi in the rpms trying to keep up(straights/fireroads) but on desert single track you can fly with the best of them!!! ?

• 4 weeks later...

Not on an 03. 04 i believe you can

Why? What did they change from 03 to 04? The trannies are identical, and only the clutch inner/outer look to be different, but it mates to the same other parts as the 04. Did the cases have to be clearenced different or something?