Sign in to follow this  

LED light for Acerbis enduro tailight

check it out. so i was tired of the weak ass sideways bulb in my acerbis light so i made my own LED array to fit in it.

here's the new LED version..

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8910.jpg

and the old bulb...

IMG_8911.jpg

IMG_8912.jpg

the old bulb lit up okay -but- only on the one side, and i'm very pleased at how the LEDs turned out.

Thats sweet! :cry:

How did you do it?

thanks :cry: i will post a pic of the guts of the whole thing when i get home tonight. basically i ran two sets of leds. the normal light is made up of 14 13,000mcd LEDs run in 7 parellel series of two with like a 60 ohm resistor (i can't remember the figure exactly, i'm at work), then the brake lights consist of 24 10,000 mcd LEDs run in 8 parellel series of 3 with like a 24ohm or so resistor. then there is another series of 3 lights for the plate light that is run parellel to the running lights, that also has a 24 ohm or so resistor.

i'm no electrical engineer so i come up with resistor sizes by trial and error, with the goal being reaching a certian voltage across each LED. with these LEDs they are listed to have a range of 3.2-3.8 volts. i shot for like 3.6 or so to take into account incoming power over 12v. the battery i tested with was new and putting out 12.4 or so volts so i think it will work out fine. i epoxied the back to keep everthing in its place.

i got the LEDs off ebay from some company in Hong Kong. they were cheap, but shipping was a bit more. however they arrived very fast and worked great. if i were doing it again i would get only the 10,000mcd LEDs they are cheaper and despite the sellers claim, i believe they have a wider angle than the 13,000 ones.

at first when i wired it up i was going to do the lights opposite, using the 24 LEDs for the running lights, but i found the other way to be more attention getting. so i went with that.

anyway i would be willing to make more (PM me if interested) and/or post a more detailed schematic up. for those of you who prefer to DYI.

cheers

droo

I'm very interested in getting one but could you make one with integrated turn signals?

I'm very interested in getting one but could you make one with integrated turn signals?

maybe, the only techincal problem i could think of is that if i make half or so of the 24 leds light up with the turn signal on it would be hard to make it so the turn signal was still blinking when the brake light was on.

an easy fix is to do like the left/rightmost 6 of those LEDs and only have them come on for a turn, and then have the the center 12 for a brake light. that could work, and i'd be willing to make one. the only thing is that your signals will blink fast since the relay will think a bulb is out. i have tried on another project to get around this with resistors, but i could not get it to work. i personally don't mind the fast blinking tho since i feel it's more attention getting.

so in short, yes i can do it, but i can't guarantee that they will blink at a normal rate. however i would be willing to try again to make them work.

cheers

droo

just thought i'd add some shots of the LED assy.

here's the view from the front. the acerbis assembly has to black plastic tab on the top and bottom i removed the bottom one so i could tilt the LED assembly so the LEDs are facing out the back. i haven't fixed them in to the acerbis assy yet, but i will probably just epoxy the two bottom corners...

IMG_8923.jpg

here's the back of the array. after soldering all the negative leads on the bottom you can see they meet with the black wire on the bottom left. i ran the brake light positive line accross the top, and then put the small board on top of that to run the running light series across without having to worry about crossing paths with the brake light.

you can see the resistors for each set of lights. the running lights use 2 inline 36 ohm resistors, you could replace that with something around 70 ohm (i just didn't have one around), then the brake light set and the 3 licenses plate LEDs use one 24 ohm resistor each.

IMG_8919.jpg

Very ingenious and damn I am an electrician that could barley do that. :cry: :cheers:keep at it and let us all in on this or you could sell them for a small profitt. HMMM :cry: :cry: :devil:I would like to try this too if Ican find some time nice nice nice :cry: