Sign in to follow this  

West Coast Supermoto racing school -summary

For anyone who cares...I attended the West Coast Supermoto School today. I can barely type due to the fact that I was holding on a bit tight in some sections of the track, and my hands (as well as the rest of my body, are refusing to cooperate).

The primary reason that I took the class was to basically force me into Supermoto mode after a full year of no supermoto. Work has been too busy to allow me to attend the Monday open track days, and this was one way to ensure that not only did I get the time to visit a track, but that I would also get some instruction at the same time. Never mind that I got to play on the track with Doug Chandler (…you see, I am a big fan of Moto GP…) Darrick Lucchesi and Chisolm are no strangers to going fast either.

What really made the day was the amount of individual attention provided. The class itself was smaller by three people due to out of staters having difficulty making if, so everyone else benefited. Not that I believe more students would have been less attention… I can say that not once did I exercise the option to grab an instructor at my leisure, yet I had a lot of personal time with them coming and providing feedback.

Would I do this again? You betcha. Everyone there was awesome, and the other riders were great as well. There was a gent on a SMR525 KTM, that was broken in at the track today, and he flew as well. He came in from Kansas!

There were a group (3 I believe) that teach at Skip Barber, and two of them were on street legal Husky 450s (100th anniversary editions no less) and they were flying. Ronnie was sort of a helper, but not really an instructor, though he is not far off. As well as a few others that appeared to be on inferior machines that were going way fast.

Later in the day, Matt Wait showed up…I hope that he is ok, as he went down and knocked himself out when the CRF250 he was riding seized on him on the fastest bend on the track…there were others, but that was not the point of today.

Unless you are able to outrun Doug or Darrick, you can benefit from this class. In fact, it seems that many a fast guy can stand to improve line selection from these two, and I only hope that I can do their school justice by being able to demonstrate the ability to recognize and stick to fast lines in the future.

I have been to open track nights in the distant past, and was able to put in many laps. It is not the same as being coached through the intricacies of going around a track at a good pace.

These guys rock….

Later,

I am thinking about doing one of their schools. I just don't like the 8hr drive to get there. I know I would learn more at one of there schools than at 25 trackdays.

It would be good if they could do some schools in SoCal!!

we went up to stockton for school about a month or so ago.. had i good time school was very well run and i would recomend it and the price is right. the only thing that sucked a little for us, was we went on a weekend when it was mostly beginers and novice riders.. we didn't know that they have a advanced class once in a while and that would have been a little more productive for my rider. still waiting to hear from "DARRICK" on when a advanced school is coming up.. if you get a chance to go.. GO! you won't be sorry. my boys lines are better now. :cry: :cry:

I also went to the oct 5 school. awesome! The instruction was great, it really help with being smooth. Smooth = fast. absolutly worth every penny, just hope my results in the last two races prove it. hopefully I was one of those guys on the inferior bikes going fast on my 98 wr400.

motowidow

smusa#246 :cry: :cry:

Hey there Jerry,

Yeah, that bike could have used a little more motor.

No offense, but I would venture to say that the new 250 4 strokes would hang in a straight up drag race, those little things haul!

I am still sore, and expect more of the same tomorrow. You would think that being a desk jockey would better prepare me for full on moto action.

My left wrist is really sore, must have been from holding on too tight when the front started to jackhammer (I mean chatter) :cry:

Still haven't decided on this weekend at Altamont. Running really short on funds with all the crap that I have been buying for the DRZ.

I do know that I cannot wait to do another class. I only hope that I do not wait that long to get the bike back on pavement. I have left it in motard trim to try and push me into making the 5-10 minute haul out to the Altamont...

Although MX sounds good to me right now as well. Decisions...

Later,

Mike