Sign in to follow this  

Making a YZ450F a little better in woods?

I love to ride both motorcross and woods. I recently got a 2004 YZ450F. Right now the bike is set-up awsome for motorcross, its all stock parts. I recently did an enduro and was a little disapointed. First gear was to choppy and second bogged to much which made my rear wheel break loose to much. Think I should just try changing the gearing?

I put a 16oz FWW on mine and put about 3 teeth on the rear and it still seemed like its better for MX than the woods. I finally bought a KTM 525EXC and am planning to sell the YZ450F.

I think to finish it off I would of needed?

o WR Cam (something milder)

o Change timing so it will run slower, have more bottom end.

o Get a new header for more torque

o bigger tank

etc.

Basically the YZF is setup fro MX only, and is probably the worst bike to try to ride in woods. If you want a blue woods bike get a WR450F and make it lighter. That's much easier than making the YZF tamer. If you must have a YZ, start with an 05, cause they made it tamer for MX too.

I'm much happier with my 04 525, and would be even happier if it was a 05. :cry:

Cheers,

I don't have one myself but ride alot with two guys that have 03' YZ450F's. About all the do is put on a 2 tooth smaller front sproket and soften the compression clicker on the suspension. They have a hard time in the woods I can usually toast them on my XR250, the only time they can catch up is on a smooth straight. When we ride I have to be in back most of the time becuase if I am in the front I loose them to quickly. I think to make them a good woods bike you would have to do the above mentioned list plus, put in a WR wide ratio trans, and revalve/respring the suspension. Or go but a WR to begin with.

I would suspect that a Recluse auto clutch would work wonders on your YZ, and not be a problem for MX.

I put a rekluse auto on my buddies 04 yz450f, along with a 14oz flywheel and RT gold valves.

I didn't have a big enough cartridge holder to get at the mid-valve on his forks, but I lucked into one of the best forks I've ever felt by using the stock mid-valve and "prefers soft" base valving on his fork.

The flywheel and Z-start are helpful, but a wr cam would probably be a good idea also. What this bike really needs though is a 5-speed transmission. I think Yamaha was stupid to go with a 4-speed. He geared it down 1 tooth on the front to make 1st gear lower, and now 4th gear feels buzzy at 25mph.

yeah i have a friend that bought a new 04 450f and he tried everything to make it rideable in the woods. like the other said it really needs a 5th gear. by the time he got it geared to ride in the woods it had no top end what so ever. i hope suzuki hasnt made the same mistake with the new rmz 450.

I am debating puting a z-start autoclutch in mine and using it was my main CC race bike. The KTM is better stock but heavy, the YZ is light but too easy to stall. Actually my KX is fastest, but its old and worn out, I'm saving it for green sticker riding times (summer).

Cheers,

sell you 04 and invest in the 06 its got 5 gears maby that would suit your gearing better