Sign in to follow this  

Used YZF-250 questions

Well, I happily admit to converting to the Blue side from Red. Previously I was completely convinced to buy a new CRF-250r. Now with the issues in the bike, even if not as common as it sounds, I feel the depenability of the Yamaha is where I need to be.. That being said, a few questions:

1) I am looking at the YZF-250 for my bike. Is there any particular year that had any problems? I have seen a few used 2002/2003 online and on ebay for sale at pretty good prices (considering the mods already made) I would like a brand new one, but it seems that a used one for half the price would be a great starting point.

2) Following the used bike approach, are there any tell tale signs on the YZF of any problems. Leaks to look for, sounds, etc?

3) Biases aside, has the mechanical history of the YZ been pretty good where I can assume, barring obvious flaws, that a used bike should be in pretty good shape?

4) I live in Florida, so this bike will be used on tracks (as a novice for now) and in sand and lose dirt. Occasionally it will find it's way to my in-laws who live in West Virgina, which supposedly has great trails. Good choice for these conditions?

5) Does the YZF-250 have to be ridden hard all the time, or can it also be used to casually go down trails?

Thanks for opinions. TT has been a great resource so far since I found out about CRF's valve problems here and other issues with bikes.

Awesome information Jim, thank you so much. The faq mentioned in that thread looks great too, will have to read everythign tonight when I get home from work since I want to take it all in!!

Thanks again!

Quick question, within a four hour drive of me there is a 2002 for sale which supposedly has been keep inside and not ridden much (less than a five hours) The pictures seem to support this based on everything being very clean and no scratches.

If I bike isn't ridden, do any of the seals, valves, etc go bad? I would guess all the fluids should be changed, but could there be any long term damage done simply by sitting for that long?

And I have seen mention of the 2003 being much easier to start based on changes made in that year. Can a 2002 be updated easily?

If I bike isn't ridden, do any of the seals, valves, etc go bad? I would guess all the fluids should be changed, but could there be any long term damage done simply by sitting for that long?

as long as it was indeed stored inside, it should be good to go. yes, you will want to immediately change out the oil and brake fluid. if the owner left gas in it you may have to spend a few hours degunking the carb jets. such is life if you are going to save a few grand. first question -- does it run? if not, when did it last run?

And I have seen mention of the 2003 being much easier to start based on changes made in that year. Can a 2002 be updated easily?

the major difference between the '02 and '03 250F's was the introduction of auto-decompression release in 2003. this feature is implemented in the 03 and on bikes via a revised exhaust cam. this revised cam, fortuitously, is backward compatible with the '01 and '02 bikes.

procuring the revised cam is as simple as calling your dealer or other OEM parts vendor (do a search on Bardwell Yamaha, TT'ers must have gotten hundreds of cams through them). the cost should be in the neighborhood of $115 to $125 or so.

installing the cam can be done yourself, provded you know which end of a screwdriver is the business part and you own or can borrow a quality 1/4" drive "low range" torque wrench. this tool is ABSO-*!&^$#%-LUTELY required or you will soon have a major problem with your cams and/or cam journals. the cam bolts have to be torqued to 7.2 ft-lbs (86 in-lbs) and to do so requires a precision low range (e.g., 20-200 in-lbs) torque wrench. if the torque wrench you have is big enough to take lug nuts off of your car, it's WAY too big for this job.

hopefully i have not scared you off; doing the exhaust cam swapout is really pretty easy and will take around an hour of your time. if the dealer does it, expect a $100-$150 labor bill at the end.

everything you ever wanted to know about doing the cam swap is detailed in the 250F FAQ (link to the top level FAQ index is in my sig) under the heading "autodecompression cam mod"...

http://www.thumperfaq.com/autodecomp.htm

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

...fortuitously...

(New Jersey) Local man hoist on own petard. Witnesses say a local man was BUSTED when he attempted to relate a simple idea with words longer than 10 letters, after finger-pointing in an earlier incident. The offender, who sometimes uses the alias "Wrooster" could not be reached for comment as of press time.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Busted dude. :cry::lol: :lol:

Been waitin' on ya. :cry::lol: :lol: :lol:

...fortuitously...

(New Jersey) Local man hoist on own petard. Witnesses say a local man was BUSTED (... blah blah blah ...)

actually, i was thinking of you when i wrote that -- "man, i wonder if barton is going to rag on me for this?" :cry:

anyway, i'm not in the wrong here. this thread has some degree of intelligence associated with it, as opposed to the one you responded in and carelessly threw around "articulated" like your audience would appreciate it. that thread was a collection of underage nintendo players and you decided to get all loquacious on them. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ps

if you really want to get yourself wound up with usage...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB10&Number=1069928#Post1069842

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f