Looking at used bikes, anything I should know?

Hey guys. I'm selling my 230f and I'm getting a 2001 YZ250F the weekend after this. That is, if I like it. It has 20 hours on it and still has the original tires on it! ?

Anything I should do? I'm going to take it for a ride, even if it's on the streets. I awnt to see if it's jetted right and I'll pull the plug. Anything else I should look for when buying used YZF's?

Also, what should I ask the guy. This is my first time buying a used bike, or used anything for that matter. I thinking of asking him when he checked the valves, does oil changes and air filter changes, and if he regreased the linkage and steering head. Anything else?

Thanks a lot guys. I'll post pics of the new bike when I get it. It's nothing special though. All stock except for Renthal bars, FMF pipe and handguards. ?

Check the air cleaner, and ask HIM to show you the oil change procedure. This will show if he did change the oil regularly as he would have to know how to do it. Warm up the bike and check the oil level, see how dirty the oil really is. Put the bike on a stand and check the swing arm for movement or play. Look at the brake discs, check for bends and look at the pads. Check the sprockets and chain for wear. Check the spokes. Look at the radiators for creases to see if the bike has been dumped numerous times. Ask him he he did the valve adjustments, if he did ask him to show you how to do it...agian proving that he knows his way around the bike. If he says the shop did it ask for the paperwork. Make sure you get the service manual!! ?

Hey guys. I'm selling my 230f and I'm getting a 2001 YZ250F the weekend after this. That is, if I like it. It has 20 hours on it and still has the original tires on it!

Right on 230! ? I figured that you were going to move up sometime soon. You can only ride the wheels off a 230 for so long....

Other than the usual stuff to check, I'd be a little worried about a 2001 bike with such low hours on it. If they let gas sit in the carb for all those months without riding, the jets will need some cleaning. Maybe ask how often they started and ran it -- if they at least started it and ran in every couple of weeks, then the carb may be fine. You'll probably still want to pull it and clean it though.

Look out Club Moto! ?

I doubt he'll actually show you how to do an oil change or check the valves, however ask him for a detailed explanation/procedure (unless that is what u guys meant when u said "show") ask him what he did for maintenance, why he is selling. Ask him what kind of oil he ran in the engine (really test his knowledge by asking him what kind of gear oil he used in the tranny, the answer should be that the engine oil and tranny oil are the same) check the plastics for white marks indicating stress. Make sure there is no squeaking when you sit on the bike (indicates linkage issues or shock issues) Listen to the engine idle once it warms up. There should be no knocking or noise of any kind, just a smooth purring sound. Ride it and make sure it feels good (smooth, brakes work well, tranny is smooth , clutch works well, etc.) then listen to the engine again. try to fool with the air screw a little to get it idling low so you can really hear the valves. Finally, grab each wheel (do one at a time) when it's on the stand (presuming he has a lift stand, if not bring one) and move it sharply back and forth, there should be no play.

<font color="navy">If it's only got 20 hours on it, and still has the original tires, I doubt the guy has done much maintenance -- if any. Check that the air filter is clean, check that the oil looks good (I'd change it anyway, just to be sure) and make sure it start/runs okay when cold. If you roll up to check out the bike and the engine is warm to the touch, he already started it to get it warmed up and running right -- that could indicate a cold starting problem (though not always). Generally, just make sure it wasn't wadded up at some point. If not, 20 hours is barely broken in! From your post, it looks like you've got the basics down...

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot ?

When I called the guy last night, he said it's been layed over once, but not that bad. It's just a mark on the rear right hand side numberplate. So if it's just that, that's def. good.

I'll ask him about all that and what you guys stared. I'll ask him how many times he can use a oil filter and such. How he broke it in and such...

This is really good info guys. Thanks a million.

BTW, the guy is selling it because his wife doesn't want it anymore. Says it's too fast for her. I was just thinking, hell I can trade him my 230F and give him a extra 200 bucks ?

Look over it and make sure all the bolts are there and check the radiator coolant and make sure it has some in there. Check the radiators and stuff like that. I would be worried about having the carb clogged up. Honestly take it and have a mechanic look over it before you buy it. I didn't but I had a family member that has been riding for 20 some years that knows more than most mechanics look over it and still in hindsight would have gotten it checked out. The 100 I didn't because It was that family members little brother that got it and rode if very few times because he was afraid of it so I knew it was ok. There was a site mainly for streetbikes but for anything really that told you stuff to look over but I can't find the link.

That's so cool! :applause:I don't really have anything to add except that the 250F is a really good bike, and you'll have lots of fun on it. Besides, it'll look really good in the back of your chevy ? If you have any questions about the bike or anything you can PM me anytime.

Don't look at used bikes at night. A bud of mine did that once and when he got it home was wondering if it was the same bike.

Oh, you have like 5-10 days to turn in your DMV papers for either both selling a buying a used bike. I delayed on this and had to pay a $384 fine on a used $3,800 bike!! I was waiting to just do all the paperwork together.

Good luck with the 250F,

I just talked to the guy again..

I'm going up there weekend after this to pick it up. 3100 - 3200 cash.

He said oil changed every other ride, filter changed every ride, but it will need a new filter soon because the no-toil oil's been gettin busy with the glue.

He said he just rode it a couple weeks ago. No leaks, ran perfect, still in tip top shape.

I asked him about the plastics. There is a white line in it when it got layed over. Nothing is damaged, just the plastics are scratched up. It doesn't matter to me. I'll have decals over it soon anyways ? Hopefully nothing on the bike was damaged. I mean a bike gets layed over no matter what, so as long as the bike isn't damaged I'll still buy it.

Even if the bowl has junk in it, either way I'm going to take off the bowl and clean the jets. So that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Here's the checklist so far:

Check to see if the wheel is trued and if it's not banged up

Check the spokes

Plug color

Jetting (main and pilot)

Check the oil and smell it (engine and frame)

check the coolant and the radiators for bends/cracks

Check the airbox if I can

Check rotors and brakes

Check suspension for leaks, squeaks...

Check steering head for smooth operation

Test ride to make sure everythings the way it should be

That should be just about it. I'll bring a clipboard with a checklist ?

Now about the DMV. What do I have to bring to switch over the title? ?