Sign in to follow this  

Help, loosing oil.

I would appreciate any ideas you guys or gals may have. I am posting in the 250F forum because I always get lots of great responses here. My brother-in-law's 02 WR426 has been loosing oil out the crank case breather hose. It used to loose a fairly small amount here and there, but last week at Hollister it leaked quite a bit. His skid plate had white foamy oil pooling up. :cry: What can be causing this? :cry: I did a search on the subject but the only therory I found was having to do with the two pump mechanisms. Have any of you had this happen, or can any of you mechanical gurus give me some ideas were to start? Thanks. :cry:

First of all you should check the oil for any water and the radiator for any oil. If the oil is white and foamy it sounds like a bad head gasket. I have a bit of oil coming out of my breather tube after a hard moto or a long ride. Usually about a tablespoon or so will drip out onto the stand after it sits on the stand after the ride. If thats the case, its normal.

Thanks, I will have him check that. :cry: I am pretty sure it was more than a tablespoon that leaked out, and we noticed it about 3 or 4 hours into the ride.

Yeah, if you are riding hard and on the gas, revlimiter, climbing big hills you will get oil out of the breather tube. I had the same question a few months ago and that was the answer I got. But, oil and water together are BAD! I hope that is not the case. If so, some gasket replacement is in order. But its not bad. I just changed my piston and cylinder which requires new gaskets and its pretty easy. :cry:

the breather tube is there to vent blow-by combustion gases. Blow-by is combustion pressure that has made it past your rings and into the motor. this is a good indicator of your rings health. Lots of blow-by is a good indicator of worn rings. The pressure builds in the motor and is vented through the tube. There is a lot of oil being slung around the camshaft area and when this pressure is going out the tube the airborn oil is caught in the outgoing air.

Try changing the oil as thicker, newer, oil makes a better sealing for the rings. If it continues, I think he's got issues with his rings.

Thanks again for the replies. The oil did look to have a whitish tint to me, but there was dirt mixed in which makes it a little tough to see. We will just have to pull it apart. Atleast we have an idea of what to look for.

I agree with "OldnBold", I did notice that I had more blow by and oil out the breather tube before I changed rings. :cry: They were shot and I was beginning to notice more oil on my plug. :cry: Great observation from OldnBold!