Sign in to follow this  

Deep Water = Engine Stopped ;-(

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of this or might have some ideas...

We were riding on the Isle of Man (where they have the Isle of Man TT road race) alond some fairly muddy ruts filed with water when i was faced with a decision, either take the long way round or stick it in one that had reeds youd normally see round a pond. Well i went for it and went through in 1st gear at a brisk walking pace, walking my left foor along the side of the rut. The water was reasonable deep, say, covering the gearbox but below the card when it just died.

No amount of kicking would make it go so we towed it out onto dry land and stripped all the plastic off and gave all the electrics a spray with WD40 lube but it still wouldnt go. Next,reassembled the bike and towed it to the nearest big hill and bumped it all the way down, blipping throttle occasionally. It started to make some coughs on the second attemps and eventually ran and ran perfectly but i must have done 300 yards of down hill bumping before it went.

We got it back to camp and started throwing water on various parts to see if it would do it again but nothing. Baffled, i rode it if the rest of the week without incident although i did avoid deep water not wanting to risk being stranded anywhere too remote.

I rode out again the other week and stuck it in lots more water and it did stop once but fired straight again first kick, so im assuming that it must have been water in the electrics somewhere and covering it in the WD40 lube dispersed it.

Anyone any other suggestions? I'd love to know what it was cos i cant help but worry that its going to do it again but somewhere flat and with no cellphone coverage!!!

Suggerstions greatly appreciated - Mat Adams (Manchester UK)

Have you done the swamp-proofing as outlined by motoman i believe it was. I killed mine several times out on my first run thru the mudholes. The carb vent lines need to be re-routed and don't kick it over while in the water, you will suck water up thru the breather hose, of which I also relocted.

I'm sure someone here will quickly post the link to the mod, if not I can take some pictures of mine and send to you.

good luck

This happened to me when my motor died in a river crossing. I couldn't start it in the water but when we brought it out of the water, it started after a lot of kicking. It seems that when the breather hose gets submerged is when it happens, because I had no problem the rest of the day.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Im guessing this problem of mine must have been carb venting issues as you say, i just cant understand why it was so incredibly difficult to start afterwards, i mean id still be there now if we hadnt found that hill. I do remember draining the float bowl cos some milky looking fluid was coming out of one of the breathers on the side of the carb so i suppose it could have been gunjing up jets or something, prehaps sucking water up the card breathers...??

Ill be doing the carb venting mods ASAP, im just glad id done the cam case breather mod before i went cos i didnt know their would be a problem kicking it over immersed in water - duuuuuh.

Thanks chaps - Mat

the only trick i know is 2 turn off the gas take out the spark plug and flip the bike over and pull the kick starter with ur hand i think its called the chinese firecracker or sumthing

A long discussion regarding this in the DRZ400 forum ended with this theory...

(as I recall...)

The water going up all the tubes simultaneously doesn't cause the problem, but as the water level recedes it creates a vaccuum which kills the bike.

The guy duplicated this by putting the running bike on a stand and shoving all the tubes into a can of water, then removing.

What I'd like to know is - the manufacturers know this, why else would they already T the hoses? So why run them all to the same place? :cry:

:excuseme:something you guys dont understand is the fact that bikes are not jet skis , water crossings are very inviting,when your bike dies ,stop!!drain the float bowl pull the plug kick it over a lot.put the plug back in then start it,remember water is not soluble with gas or oil,the swamp proofing mod is a must as well :cry:

When you run the bike in deep enough water you will drop the temeperature of the motor unless you rev the bike as you make the water crossing. If you have not got any water in the engine then it will probably start if you use the choke as if you were starting a cold engine.

If you read his post, he states that he didn't drown the bike, he didn't submerge the airbox - "the water was below the carb".

If he didn't reroute the vent tubes, it would cause it to die. If he didn't start it properly he could have subsequently flooded it (or while it was dying...)