Sign in to follow this  

Rampart Trail 677a currently closed

The last couple of weekends, Trail 677a at Rampart has been closed. The sign says that it is closed due to flying debris from mechanical thinning. Does anyone know when it will reopen? I'll call the South Platte Ranger District and post if I find out anything.

Ya and the RRMMC is more than a little perturbed.

We asked the FS rep who was in attendance at last months meeting and he was "going to check" but did not know.

I have heard ZERO.

This is getting rediculous (sp)

I talked to the Ranger District and they said they do not know how long it will be closed, but probably at least until next spring. Hopefully this isn't how the forest service plans to "ease" into a permanent closure of this trail.

The same type of mech. thinning closure sign has been posted on the trail behind the Sprucewood since summer of '03. The Ranger I talked said that this was supposed to only last 3 months, but its now been over a year. He doesn't know when it will reopen, and sounds as frustrated as all of us that it hasn't reopened yet.

He informed me that there are more public meetings within the next week to discuss the Rampart EA issue. I think its the meetings in Castle Rock and Golden. Anybody have details on the meeting times? I couldn't find these meetings on the web.

Here's a link to look at.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/spl/recreation

I do not know but can only guess that it may be an issue with contracts or contractors. Often times these Gov't contracts give the contractor a pretty substantial period of time to complete the work. The contractor will post the signs for safety reasons and not remove them until everything is done. Then if any problems or disputes come up, the contract can be extended and go on for a looong time. Just a thought.

Yep, October 13th 2004 5:30 -8:30 p.m. Douglas County Fair Grounds, Events Center 500 Fairgrounds Road

October 14th 2004 5:30 -8:30 US FSFS Rocky Mountain Region Headquarters 740 Simms Street, Golden

Be there right at 5:30, it is not an open house like last time. It would be an excellent opportunity to ask &%$#@! is up with 677a. See you ALL there.

The 14th is my Son's birthday. I'm iffy if I can attend but will do my best.

Rod