Sign in to follow this  

'02 WR 250 what has been changed?

A local dealer has a leftover 02 TTR 250 and a leftover WR 250. The TTR is still the same as far as I know. What has changed on the WR? What would be a decent price for the WR? They wanted 4999 on the WR and 3999 on the TTR.

A local dealer has a leftover 02 TTR 250 and a leftover WR 250. The TTR is still the same as far as I know. What has changed on the WR? What would be a decent price for the WR? They wanted 4999 on the WR and 3999 on the TTR.

the '02 model WRF is the last of the "non-electric start" WRF's. add an '03 cam to it ($115), ditch the manual compression release, and it is an awesome trail bike. the suspension, motor, and handling of the lighter WRF make it a far more capable bike than the more rotund TTR -- i repeat *far* more. note that the '02 WRF is lighter than the '03 WRF, and carries it's weight lower as well (e.g., no battery under the seat).

aside, my opinion is that they are asking an insane amount of money for a going-on three year old WRF. offer $4000 tops, and you may be able to do better. don't listen to their claims about how much they paid for it back in '02 -- in reality it is a rapidly depreciating asset on their books and they want to part with it for a reasonable amount.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Offer $3500 and let them drag you kicking and screaming up to $4000 in 100 increments, but not one penny more. No dealer prep, or title or tax. That should all be included. $4999!!! Sheesh!

Wrooster's right, someone at that dealership wants badly to be rid of that old WR. Even if they take a loss on it, inventory tax time will hit them again in a few months, and the 05's are out. When they hit the floor in significant numbers that 02 will be worth even less, plus winter is coming, so bike buyers are drying up. If the salesmen won't deal, talk to the sales manager. If he won't deal, talk to the business manager. Show 'em you're serious about buying a bike, and make 'em sweat that you'll go somewhere else, and don't worry about making them mad. They're already "mad" for asking so much. Don't forget, they're desparate, and you're holding all the cards. Ask 'em how that bike will look on the showroom floor in the spring of '06.

Forget the TTR.

Are there any different reliablility issues with the 02 that make it better or worse than a 04 or 05?

Are there any different reliablility issues with the 02 that make it better or worse than a 04 or 05?

The 03s & 04s have a battery and e-start. Makes it easier to start in compromising situations. Reliable? So far all I've read are cases of dead batteries and wiring problems from wrecks at the clutch lever area (e-start related) so the e-start seems reliable if it's not damaged or disconnected or has a dead battery.

With the battery and e-start, there are more things to worry about that can get damaged on wrecks, they also weigh the bikes down more. The air box for the 03s and 04s is also more restrictive than the 02s - not a reliability issue but many people have tried many different ways to open up their newer WRs' air boxes.

I still don't know why Honda's CRF250X weighs ~231 lbs while the newer WR250F weighs ~250 lbs dry! :cry: My buddy said his KTM 525exc weighs ~243 lbs, what do they put in the WR250Fs that make it so heavy? :cry: Last I weighed my 02 WR250F, it was ~240 lbs dry.

I still don't know why Honda's CRF250X weighs ~231 lbs while the newer WR250F weighs ~250 lbs dry! [...] what do they put in the WR250Fs that make it so heavy? Last I weighed my 02 WR250F, it was ~240 lbs dry.

av,

that's the honda "reality distortion field" in action...

the it's-supposed-to-be-really-light honda CRF250X weighs between 253 and 267 when in ready-to-ride condition w/ gas.

see the info and pics halfway down this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1403886/

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Sounds a lot for an 02. 2 weeks ago I was offered an 04 WR250F at $4800 in Hayard CA.

Regards Shane.

As far as starting goes, how is the 02 to kick start? It has a manual compression release lever.? After a fall does it suck to kick start?

Well something must be wrong there cuz I paid like 3800.00 for a new 04 TTR250 6 months ago