Sign in to follow this  

02 WR250 Clutch issues?????

I have just recently purchased this bike. I test rode it with a buddy for about 10 mins before buying it and everything worked great. I got it home changed the oil and now the clutch won't engage. Even with the bike off and in 1st gear with the clutch in there is no clutching happening whatsoever. I warmed the bike up for a few minutes, pulled the clutch in and shifted into 1st and stalled out obviously because the clutch is not enguaging. I can't imagine screwing something up because of the oil change. I did exactly as per the manual and didn't loosen any wrong bolts. Please help!

These pretty commonly have a dragging clutch. You can adjust the clutch engagement point down on the case, but in many cases it's still kind of draggy, and is worse when the bike is cold.

Check the faq at www.thumperfaq.com for various fixes. There is a washer fix that works for some, some require a new set of Moose clutch plates, and some go for a new Hinson clutch basket. Some folks say it's the choice of oil. I was able to adjust mine out, but others are not so fortunate.

Thanks Barton. Do you know if the system on these has to be bled after an oil change? I can't come up with any other logical reason for this to happen.

Ive also heard of fully synthetic olis causing this problem. My bike had a badly creeping clutch so i tried the M6 Washer fix as desribed in the FAQ but this didn't fix it.

2nd time round i checked all the steel and friction plates for warpage but noticed the plates towards the inside of the sandwich werent all that oily which led me too believe it was a lublication issue. Taking a chance i did the drilling of the clutch hub mod which didn't help either.

Fianlly i put in a EBC kit of steel plates, friction plates and new heavier springs and its been great ever since. I would say the pull is a fair bit heavier now but who cares....at least it works! And its a good excuse to get a hydraulic conversion!