Sign in to follow this  

SM Sproket Question

Will be SMing my S soon. Noticed to day that my sproket has 45 writtenon it. I presume thats the amount of teeth. Must have been replaced cos the std is 44 isn`t it? Anyway, here`s my questi0ons for ya :cry:

1, what effect (mph/rpm) difference will the 45 tooth have made? Will it have pushed the prm up alot and bought the top end down?

2, If I want to get a big sprocket look on the rear (looks cool with massive sproket) what front sproket will I need to have for SM? Is it wize to go biger at the front instead of smaller at the back? Was originaly thinking of a 30 rear butthat would look tiny. Is there an equivilant for the front or a compramise? i.e. 17 front 47 rear? Or am I just talking s%^t????

1, what effect (mph/rpm) difference will the 45 tooth have made?

Will it have pushed the prm up alot and bought the top end down?

<font color="brown">The difference from 44 to 45 would be very hard to notice in my opinion

2, If I want to get a big sprocket look on the rear (looks cool with massive sproket)

what front sproket will I need to have for SM? Is it wize to go biger at the front

instead of smaller at the back? Was originaly thinking of a 30 rear but

that would look tiny. Is there an equivilant for the front or a compramise? i.e. 17 front 47 rear?

Or am I just talking s%^t????

<font color="brown">It seems that 15 tooth on the front is the largest one can go without removing

the protective case guard.

In that case, it seems that usually DRZ's stick with the 15 tooth front, then choose anywhere from

39 through 45 in the rear.

The chain may have to be shortened for the smaller sizes

39 seems to be the tall, freeway type gearing,

whereas 42 is for in town and backroads,

whereas 44 or 45 may suit motard tracks best.

In my opinion, that is

cheers and good luck :cry:

You recon I`d loose my wheelie off the throttle ability with the 39??

<font color="brown"> I personally haven't tried the 39. The tallest that I've tried is 42.

I can still pull 2nd gear wheelies,

I have problems lifting it in 3rd gear, even feathering the clutch.

Again, this is my experience.

I remember reading posts of some TTers

lofting a wheelstand in like 4th gear? I don't get how that happens.

I can maybe see that happening with a big-bore kit? :cry:

<font color="brown"> Or with a blower

sc500-250-256-large3.jpg

<font color="brown">then you could wheelie in 14th gear if you felt like it! :cry:

Thanks for the detailed reply! :cry: You recon I`d loose my wheelie off the throttle ability with the 39?? :cry:

Depends on your skill, really. :cry:

Here are some good gearing choices:

14/44 for the track

15/44 for street hooligan-big time wheelies.

15/41 for general backroading. If your bike has a pipe and jet kit, it will still pull strong with this gearing, and it still wheelies off the throttle in 2nd. Just needs a little more effort.

13/44 for dirt riding with your 18/21 wheels.

My chain is 2 links shorter than stock and accomodates all of these gearing combos. :cry:

Mike

:cry:

Thanks for the detailed reply! :cry: You recon I`d loose my wheelie off the throttle ability with the 39?? :cry:

Depends on your skill, really. :cry:

Here are some good gearing choices:

14/44 for the track

15/44 for street hooligan-big time wheelies.

15/41 for general backroading. If your bike has a pipe and jet kit, it will still pull strong with this gearing, and it still wheelies off the throttle in 2nd. Just needs a little more effort.

13/44 for dirt riding with your 18/21 wheels.

My chain is 2 links shorter than stock and accomodates all of these gearing combos. :cry:

Mike

:lol:

Perfect, just the info I need :cry: 15/41 it is then. Full yosh, dyno jet, 3x3 and SM set up should do the trick:-)