Sign in to follow this  

wrist pin woes

Ok so I got my 10,000 mile, 1977, barn fresh xt500 up and running and the valves sounded noisey. So i took it to the repair shop i trust who adjusted the valves and said they felt like there was some noise in the engine that could spell doom. they suggested it was the wrist pin and that it would be fine around town etc but no freeway high revving high jinks.

Is this something a guy can replace himself or fix. I am very good at reading manuals and following instructions. The shop said it would cost about 1800 bucks for them to do. I am interested in hearing from you fellas.

Cheers Adam

please accept my apologies for poor spelling, bad typer!

$1800 for a wrist pin? Are you sure it wasn't $180? I have torn down and rebuilt the top end on my XT350 twice. Both times it was less than a days work. Total parts including reboring, piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips and gaskets the second time was still less than $300. By my math at my wrenching speed, that gives them a shop rate of almost $190/hour. And I would hope that they are faster than me.

If they really said $1800, I would check their adjustment. They are not a shop to be trusted.

1800 seems way out of the ball park.I could build a Chevy 350 for that kind of cash :cry:

Find another bike shop or do it yourself :cry:

Hello everyone,

the small end of the conrod is not a proper bush but metal sprayed and then honed to size-and when it finally goes you need to replace the whole rod,crankpin and bigend bearing,which of course means stripping and rebuilding the whole bottom end of the motor.Maybe that is why the quoted price is so high-but any decent shop will explain the breakdown of the quoted price and why it is so high...dont be shy to ask.You may want to put a Carrillo rod in if you have to rebuild the crank assembly-it has a proper small end bush and is much stronger than stock anyway,try Mark Apland at www.thumperstuff .com and expect to pay $200....it is worth every cent.

Good luck,

Brandon.