Sign in to follow this  

Brakes

The brakes on my friend's RMZ are really spongy. The lever pulls almost all the way to the handlebar. I tried bleeding them and back filling from the caliper. No help. What else can I do to get the brake to work properly???

are you sure the pads are in spec? Did you flush the system before you refilled it? There could be water at the caliper end of the line and be causing this problem. If you flush and refill (bleed as well) you should be set.

Don't back fill from the caliper. This can mess up the cylinder on the front brake resovoir. If you think there is water in it then just do a gravity bleed. Water is heavier then oil so you may have to take the caliper off and completely drain it first. Then just open the bleeder and let fresh DOT 4 brake fluid drain making sure the resovoir doesn't run dry. Once all the air or dirty fluid comes out then shut the bleeder and fill the resovoir back up. Next put the cap back on and put a zip tie around your lever and handle bars. Let it sit over night like this before you ride. Doing this lets all the air back up through the line and valve. This makes for a lot stiffer brake afterwards. We do that every night before races to make sure we have consistant brakes throughout race day. :cry: