Sign in to follow this  

my own baja lights version 1

Well I went ahead and made my own Baja lights for my S. I bought two Hella lights and made the frame myself. I think I can do better, they certainly do not look to bad. It's really tough without proper tools (had to bend parts of the frame around a paint drum :cry:) Lights are certainly alot sharper than my UFO headlight but you do feel the weight as I mounted the new bracket to my fork tubes. The whole setup cost me around $80 :cry:

I took two pics but have no webspace, can someone help me post them ? They are small only 77k each.

Thanks

drz-2.jpg

drz-1.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

thats one nice looking DRZ....but you got to get some real tires on there :cry:

Thanks ! Yeah the Scorpions need to go, but they are almost brand new so I'll keep them for a while as most of my riding is done on tarmac :cry:

do you have any more pics of that DRZ - I would like to see some side shots of the colors/graphics. If so e-mail them to me and I can post them for others to see :cry: :cry:

Believe it or not those are the only pics I have of my bike ! I'll get the digital out and take some pics tomorrow. I'll e-mail them to you :cry:

Cool to know people dig my DRZ !

Believe it or not those are the only pics I have of my bike ! I'll get the digital out and take some pics tomorrow. I'll e-mail them to you :cry:

Cool to know people dig my DRZ !

Cool - I will post the pics when you send them :cry:

from what I can tell - I really like your setup, looks good - and if you ride mostly road, you got the right tires..I was just messing with you about them. I have plates on my bike, but I do not have any DOT tires...all offroad only - I ride dirt, only street is inbetween trails :cry:

that is a kick ass setup.

does it have enough juice to run those lights?

i really like that light set up. you just got as couple peices of metal, bent them and welded them together? you did a damn good job (looks proffesional). i was thinking of doing somethin simmilar on mine, but i looked on baja designes and it was way too much cash for me.

steve

that is my favorite drz by far. that looks soooo awesome. :cry: :cry:

Nice bike, and yes you need to get additional pic's posted ASAP. I'm confused though, your screen name is digitaldan and you only have 2 pics of your bike :cry:....for shame, for shame :cry: :cry: :cry:

I like it :cry: Need a pic of the mountings, lights to frame, frame to forks. Very professional looking. More specs please, wattage, one high one low? Are you exceeding the charging systems abilities?

Mike -

I sent more pics. I looking for the bracket pics I took. I'll post them together with all the info on the electrics, bulbs etc. Thanks for all the cool comments. Makes it all worth while :cry:

Sorry HRZDOS, I was looking at the pics and saw I never rotated them ! The basic frame is made out of 8mm solid round bar. Easy to work with and pretty light. Problaly not very strong but I wanted to get the shape first. After that one can go ahead and make a stronger setup if need be. The way they fit to the forks is pretty simple, it's steel pipe bended to the same diameter as the fork legs and attached with clamps (same as the setup on my XR250 Baja). If it works for Honda it works for me. I have seen setups that bolt to the frame, this should make steering feel lighter. The Hella's came with 55W bulbs for each light. At present I'm only running one light at a time, switching between the two for lo and hi beam. The bike certainly has no problem powering one light, I think I'll be safe running both as long as one uses a relay. For anyone with a couple of tools it will be easy to make. The steel is dirt cheap. I used Hella Comets (162mm diameter) but PIAA's looks to be more robust but also more expensive ? I have been offroad with my new setup without any problems, even the cars can see me coming now !

HRZDOS the graphics on the bike all come from Japan. It's a 2001 DRZ400S that was imported to South Africa from Japan so I was lucky enough to buy it with all the goodies on it. The plastics are all UFO (except front fender, hmm should I get a black one as well ?). This is certainly the best "dual sport" I have ever owned ! I'm sure all DRZ owners would agree.

Nice bike, thanks for the info and pics. One observation however, (actually two) you need to get a manual cam chain tensioner and some CFC case guards. Search this forum for massive info on both! :cry: :cry: