Sign in to follow this  

'04 yz250f hard cold starting

Bike is hard to start when cold. Just checked valves and they're in spec. The jetting is all stock - haven't changed anything. No throttle, turn choke on. After 5-10 kicks t8urn choke off and use hot-start lever (I'm pretty sure that's what the manual says to do) and it'll fire but then die.

After one or two more cycles like this it will start. After it's warm the bike runs great (but will sometimes stall if I crack it fast from idle). Hot starting is no problem.

Any tips on the hard cold starting? Could this be related to the off-idle stalling? The stalling happens less frequently as the bike warms up.

Mine almost always starts first kick cold with the following routine:

-- Gas on, choke on, wait for ~30 sec.

-- Two pulls on the throttle

-- Find TDC

-- Good firm kick all the way through

Fires right up with this routine.

wheelsoff - is yours all stock?

Oh, and I generally ride ~200ft altitude, from 50-80 degrees f.

I pulled the plug when I checked the valves and it was black. I might be rich, but I also read this can be caused by lots of riding at low to mid RPM (like I do since I mostly ride woods, carefully). I've replaced the plug.

I have an exhaust and a JD needle on it now but it started no problem even before I made those changes. The two pulls on the throttle before kicking and finding TDC are the key.

The only time I noticed hard starting problems when cold is when the valve clearance was out of spec, but as you stated that's not the problem in your case.

same here bud turn gas on twist throttle 3 x no choke fires right up. If it dies 2 more twists pull chock fires right up turn off choke after 30 sec..same routine for all 5 yamahas within my reach

If the gas on, two twists on the throttle gig doesn't work, take the air boot off the carb and remove the little jet in the bottom of the intake side of the carb. If this jet gets dirty it will make the bike very hard to start.

Try the two whacks of the throttle first though.