Sign in to follow this  

Need help from all the CRF450 guru's.

I'm in the market to buy a CRF450. My delema... I live in California and in some parks we can only ride certain 2003+ bikes between October and March, Red/Green Sticker thing "Only In California." So I'm looking for a 2002 CRF450.

The multi part question is....... What should I look out for in a 2002 crf450?? what should I pay for one?? has anyone bought a bike from out of state and shipped one?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Red,

Check with the DMV, but I believe it is based on where you live not what bike year you have. I have a '04 I live in Inyo County and the only requirement from the BLM is: that I have a spark arrestor on the bike. And stay to assigned trails.

I am aware of people that live in Southern California and they get registration sticker color that say when you can ride on BLM areas. Mine is Red, and all the bikes registered in Inyo and Mono are red. If it were the case that all new bikes are restricted to only certain month’s period, BLM or track, the Manufactures would have California state legislation in front of the Supreme Court faster then you could say Anhnold.

I don’t know the facts to this because no one enforces it here, I would check it out fully.

I Live 7 minutes away from Carnigie OHV park, So that makes it real easy for me to ride more often.

The rangers there enforce the red/green sticker rule. I've seen them inspect vin#'s to verify the 8th and 10th number.

Just don't want to hassle with that. I'll either buy a 2002 CRF450 or wait to see the 05' CRF450X.

I bought my '02 450 for the same reasons you mentioned. Although I paid top-dollar for mine ($3500) I feel I got a well maintaned bike that I can ride when I feel the urge, not when the state decides I can. My bike has about $650 worth of Tom Morgan suspension, Applied clamps, ProTaper bars, billet throttle tube, Design Works chain blocks and on oversize BraKing front rotor kit. It starts on the first or second kick, hot or cold. The plastic looked a little scruffy when I got it, but I added a new Acerbis plastic kit and Alpha graphics and it now looks as good as it runs. Things I would look for are bent radiators, since they can get bent easily, even from a rider knees squeezing the tank. Alos check for severe frame wear where the radiator shrouds meet the aluminum frame, they all seem to have wear there, it's just a matter of how much. As far as that goes, have alook under the tank to see how bad the tank has rubbed the frame if the seller will let you, again, they all wear in that spot, so don't be horrified if you find some frame wear. Ask about frequency of filter changes and oil changes, more is better and if the seller can't rememeber when either was done last, it might be a good idea to pass. These things have tiny oil capacities and need frequent changes. Ask about valve probs, although mine still has stock shims and measures perfectly fine. Good luck and get a nice one! :cry: