Sign in to follow this  

1984 XR250R

There is a 1984 XR250R for sale that I was thinking of buying to teach my kids to ride and let friends ride when they visit. I have a 2004 XR400R that I don't let anybody ride but me. Anybody know about the 1984 XR's. The bike is relatively cheap ($1400) is in good shape but it's 20 years old! Are they decent bikes? Can you find parts? :cry:

The xr is one of the best bikes because they are super reliable, and are bulletproof, but i think that price is way too high. (Check kbb.com) It also might be a little big for beginners.

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

I would have to say some where from $800- $1000. I bought my 87' for $1400 with a couple of mods.

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

That's an $500 bike, if it's nice. Prone to overheating, and hard to get parts for, it does better the harder you ride it and is not great at low-speed plonking. If you are looking for an older XR250, look for an '81/'82 (rare) or an '86 or newer.

If you do buy it; make sure your jetting is spot-on and use a synthetic oil. Lean jetting will allow this bike to burn-up before your very eyes.

I appreciate the feedback. The bike is being sold by the son 'n law of the original owner. It's totally stock even has the original tires. It's been ridden about ten times. The only scratches on it are from the lawn-mower and crap in the garage being banged into it.

I'll second Bultaco. My bike definitely does better riding faster than just putting.

That's an $500 bike, if it's nice. Prone to overheating, and hard to get parts for, it does better the harder you ride it and is not great at low-speed plonking. If you are looking for an older XR250, look for an '81/'82 (rare) or an '86 or newer.

If you do buy it; make sure your jetting is spot-on and use a synthetic oil. Lean jetting will allow this bike to burn-up before your very eyes.

AMEN BROTHER !

what he says is very true ! This was the WORSE XR250 built. The only XR that was worse than this was the 1984-85 XR200

Dwight

The only XR that was worse than this was the 1984-85 XR200

Dwight

I have one of those. :cry:

And yeah, they aren't the greatest. I've learned to co-exist with mine and have had zero problems with it. I race it hard and never play ride it; It's a bit fat on the jetting; and I run Amsoil 20W50 in it. The top end is as quiet as anything else I have. :cry:

I wouldn't want it to be my only bike, nor would I spend a bunch of money on it.

I am happy with mine, but would recommend a couple of mods, particularly if you are going to ride it hard.

External oil cooler (they were prone to overheating).

If its a twin carb, consider going to a single, they could be a bugger to tune with two and I think two was over complication (twice the potential for getting rubish in the jets etc)

The 84-85 xr250r is my favorite 250. It isn't bad it is just misunderstood. :cry: It needs a little extra care than the other xr250 dirtbikes. First it ran hot because it was jetted too lean. Second some of the bikes came from the factory with defective valve springs. Third the dual carbs can be a pain but are not that hard to deal with. All these items can be dealt with easily enough. The 84-85 are extremely fast and fun to ride when running correctly. My stock 84 xr250 would stomp my 91 xr277 on a straight line race. However, $1400 seems a bit steep for this bike even if it is pristine. I agree with the $1000 max or maybe $1100 but I am biased because I like them. If you look hard enough you can find a decent xr400 for $1600 or so. Just my opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

I ride my dads 1985 XR250R and dont have any problems what so ever. I have put that bike through alot of crashes and abuse by riding it hard and long but it has never overheated. I would say that if he would come down to between $500-$800 it would be a good buy.

I collect xl and xr or any hondas from the late 70s to late 80s and I think the 84 to 87s the worst bikes I ever owned oil plugs in counter shafts come out alot losing oil presure to top ends and killing the head,cam journals 78 to 82 and 89 and newer much better price is to high most top end parts very hard to find that to me has been a weak link lower ends a dime a dozen.If you get it run a good oil in like 20-50wt

Glenn :cry: