Sign in to follow this  

Making a ttr125 street legal

Can you make a 2003 ttr125 street legal in canada.If you can how can you.Thanks :cry: :cry:

i ride a ttr125le, i'm in canada, and it is street plated. basicly you need to add lights, dot tires, and maybe a speedometer, get it safetied certified that it is safe to ride on the street, and stop in at the ministry of transportation for a licence plate.

here's a picture of mine.

bike2.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

wait, what?

I am so jelous. I want to ride my TTR on the road. Do the lights and stuff add alot of weight? Did you change the sprockets to add more top end? how fast can you "cruise", meaning, a steady speed at a nice melow RPM.

Where I live here in NY, I cant even register a scooter that I bought that is totaly legal in like every other state. its complete BS. YOUR SO LUCKY!

i ride a ttr125le, i'm in canada, and it is street plated. basicly you need to add lights, dot tires, and maybe a speedometer, get it safetied certified that it is safe to ride on the street, and stop in at the ministry of transportation for a licence plate.

here's a picture of mine.

bike2.jpg

Did you have to get the stator rewound or did you just add lights. I want to make mine street legall. I live in Canada aswell :cry:

i have the electric start model with a 12 volt battery. i did not have to rewind the stator (i chose the electic start model for this reason). the dual sport kit is from baja designs and is basicly front and back lights and signals, a controller, and some wiring. probably weights under 10 lb's. regarding the lights, the high beam sucks, and out running the low beam in the dark with no street lights happens at around 20-30 km/h (15-20 miles/hour). for that reason, i ride mostly in the day, or on well lite streets. the bike is currently geared with a 14 tooth counter sprocket, and stock 54 tooth rear. i'm always at redline in 5th gear cruising at around 95 km/h (around 55mph). i'm installing a 150cc big bore kit and a 49 tooth rear sprocket (i'll play with the counter sprocket some) in over the fall/winter. hoping for around 110-115 km/h (65-70mph) top speed. i don't cruise, but the engine doesn't work hard to ride around at 60 km/h (around 35mph). out of all my bikes this is my favourite, and the one i ride the most.

Where did you get your tires from and how do I find out if I can make my ttr125 street legal in my town.Also do you have a speedometer on your bike.How hard was it to put on the light.Thanks

tires need to be dot approved. you can stick on a set of kenda trackmaster II knobbies, or bridgestone trailwings on to the stock rims. i laced up some 17" rims (2.5" front and 3.5" rear) to a set of stock hubs so i run sport bike front tires on my bike. currently i'm running cheng shen hi-max 110/70-17 front and rear cause they were cheap (i've got the stock wheels for the trails and gp125 tires for the track (the lights come off in about 10 minutes (this is my all purpose do everything bike. i can ride it daily, take it to the track, and ride it off road))). i know people who ride dual sport bikes that are street plated and they did not need a speedo to get plated. i was using a gps as a speedo, but that lasted for about a week. i did not wire the gps up to the bike's battery, and it was eating AA's like mad. i currently don't have a speedo. if you want a cheap speedo, mount a bicycle speedo up. the lighting kit went on in one evening. it's pretty easy as the kit had instructions. i know other guys who have built up there own kits by buying parts from the bike wreckers. it is a lot cheaper, but takes a lot more time. each ministry of transportation is a bit different. visit yours and see what they want. mine basicly wanted a safety certificate from a certified garage stating the bike was safe on the road and proof of ownership.

Where did you get your tires from and how do I find out if I can make my ttr125 street legal in my town.Also do you have a speedometer on your bike.How hard was it to put on the light.Thanks

My bike is stock and I got my friend in his truck to see how fast my bike will go. I hit 80/kph but I think his tires on the truck are a bit larger than stock. I ride back roads alot with my friends on thier bikes so I might try a 14 tooth counter sproket and see if I can get 95/kph with mine. Then I won't be reving as high as my buddies are on thier TTR's and even be able to pull away from them :cry: Or I could take my 95 KX 250 and smoke them (litterily leave them in my stinky 2-smoke) But I'd rather ride the TTR way more fun and it goes 5X's farther on a tank of gas. :cry:

i have a bicycle speedo on my ttr250,cost $12 at walmatr made by bell.i also just went to junkyard and found and old yamaha enduro analog speedometer and replaced my stock odometer only with the $15 yamaha enduro speedo.i just went to hardware store and got 2 brackets and mounted it on to my odometer bracket,which had all holes needed allready there,speedo also has a light that hooked up very easy.looks almost like it came on bike,unless u get down and reallly look,it fits perfect behind the baja headlight.as for the bicycle one,ony thing i had to do was widen where the magnet fits over the spoke,then the set screw no longer fit,so a small clamp around back of magnet mount after it is made to fit around spokes,that joker is on tight now.i kept this on cause its so small and out of the way where i mounted it(use hole left from stock headlight with a spool type thing i made same diameter as handlebars)or u can mount it on bars,this bicyle one has time,riding time,saves avg. and top speed,and trip meter.i also found a little red led light at walmart,that holes lined up perfect with stock tail light,that gives me alot more visability in rear for such a small light,which i want for when i ride at night on street.it doesnt get brighter with braking,but those leds are really bright ffor there size.

Hi where did you order your Baja Designs kit from Canada or USA. I think you can only get it from usa from Baja Designs. I gut enought money now to buy the kit and Iam getting it next mouth.(:

dam here the bike has to be atleast a 250 to make it street legal!! you guys are lucky i wanna make mine street legal but theres no point cause its too small!!

Just curious..how do you find out if your size bike can be made street legal in your state? I'm in NC and I have no clue as to find this out...any help would be appreciated!

Hi where did you order your Baja Designs kit from Canada or USA. I think you can only get it from usa from Baja Designs. I gut enought money now to buy the kit and Iam getting it next mouth.(:

you can order it directly from the usa (directly from them, or i think there are a few online distributors), or maybe one of your local motorbike shops has an account with them and can order it in for you. i ordered mine from parker bros powersports located in toronto.

Just curious..how do you find out if your size bike can be made street legal in your state? I'm in NC and I have no clue as to find this out...any help would be appreciated!

go to the DMV you know the place you get your license and they should tell you!! hope this helped

I've used a Baja Designs kit before on my CRF-450X and it worked great. I'm thinking about getting a TTR125 and doing the same to it. I DO think they are a bit overpriced, so the next time I might just get some parts from Acerbis. There's really not much to the kit. It IS nice that everything (relay, horn) mount behind the number plate, but that wouldn't be hard to rig. I noticed that on the TTR125LE, it has the mirror mount built in, so that's easy too. One thing to remember that may apply, it does in VA, you have to have brake lights that trigger with either brake and the BD kit only came with one banjo bolt switch, so I had to order a second one for my front brake.

i got a ufo firefly headlight for my ttr and it sucks well i guess its better than nothing a lot better but i've been trying to find silverstar bulbs it would probably brighten it up alot. oh someone was talking about a 49 on the rear i have one on my le with the stock front sprocket it goes about 62mph and my brother took a 14 i think off of a 72 sl 125 and it bolted right up it doesnt make that much of a dif over the stock sprocket his will do about 64-65mph not much difference