Sign in to follow this  

Knee Injury

I know there have probably been some other posts on this subject, but I'm too lazy to go researching. Recently went to the doc and found out I have a torn ACL with some tears in my meniscus. The doctor told me to count on a rehabilitation time of 9 months to a year. Is he just being conservative, or is this the actual rehab time? Anybody have some experience with this? I'm pretty bummed at the moment. :cry:

It might be more like 6 months ... but long rehab none-the-less. Good news is riding season is amost over :cry:

I had ACL, graft from knee cap area (forget name?), menicus, and MCL all done in 9/97 and was playing BBall in 12/97, better as time went on though.

In 6 months it seemed pretty good, but the key is to rehab and do everything your PT tells you and some more if you can.

Good luck,

Thanks fellas. Down in Vegas the riding season never ends, but mine just did. I guess it's a good time to sell the 03 and get a new bike when I'm ready to ride. See there, all things have a good end to them.

I have had couple friends with ACL's reconstructed. It usually depends on the person healing and your age. Couple things I can tell you is they have this sleeve that goes around your leg and a pump that pumps ice water the the sleeve's tubes so you can keep the swelling down thus quicker healing time. It's works way better then icing it. You can even sleep with the sleeve on.

:cry:

I have had couple friends with ACL's reconstructed. It usually depends on the person healing and your age. Couple things I can tell you is they have this sleeve that goes around your leg and a pump that pumps ice water the the sleeve's tubes so you can keep the swelling down thus quicker healing time. It's works way better then icing it. You can even sleep with the sleeve on.

There's also a device that you strap your leg into and it automatically straightens and bends it over and over while you watch tv or something. Not all docs will prescribe it and not all insurance will cover it but it sure helps you get your range of motion back quicker.

I had the ice water pump after my ACl re-con and they are great. Ice packs are a hassle and don't work near as good.

Recovery is painfully slow, but the bright side is that you will likeley be able to get your insurance to cover a snappy new CTI brace [:cry:]

I just got back on my bike after a long (to me anyway) rehab - talk about RUSTY! I got knee braces for both knees now - and although it's taking a little getting used to, I feel much better knowing I'm protected now.

I've had three knee surgeries. (The second one was orthoscopic to clean up scar tissue from the first, which was pretty nasty) The first one I tore the ACL, MCL, and medial miniscus in April. Had the ortho done in August, and was riding again in Oct. The last one was just a torn ACL and nothing more. They took a ligament from my hamstring to replace the ACL. Again, it was in April (must be a bad month for me!) and I was riding again in July.

It takes the body four months to repair an ACL. It is impossible to come back quicker than 4 months safely. At 4 months, the ACL is at 90% strength, and you should be able to do whatever you want at that point. The biggest variable is rehab!!! Follow your PT's instructions and meet his/her goals!! It's painful, and it sucks, but it must be done. If you don't feel you're ready to ride in 4 months, then don't. It will be because of your progress in rehab, atriphy, and range in motion, but it won't be because of the ACL (if it's done correctly). When you do start riding, take it easy!! Don't worry about what you used to be able to do/how fast you used to be, etc.

I felt horrible when it happened, and worse the next time. Like most things, it's temporary. People come back from knee surgeries all the time, and you don't have to be RC (but it helps). Meaning, take the determination, time, and effort to rehabilitate your knee and leg muscles. Work hard, grit your teeth, and by next spring you will be back on the line again!! :cry:

I have had ACL reconstruction...8 months to 100%

My Daughter just had Patella reattachment...4 months to 90%

One of my riding buddies has a similar injury to yours. The "Constant Motion Machine" mentioned usually follows surgery but definately ask you doctor about it. Also my friend received a small device which is a electric stimulator with small pads that attach to the injured area. It suppossidly speeds up the recovery time.

Just be patient, if you rush it it could be even longer before you get to ride.

Cliff

I had an ACL avulsion, this is where the ACL pulls off of the bone. I also fractured the top of my tibia at the same time. Didnt need surgery and I'm back on the bike after almost 3 months. Got a snappy new Cti brace too which helps alot! Now I'm mostly just trying to regain strength in that leg but for the most part my knee feels great! Good luck hope your riding again soon! :cry:

I tore my ACL July25, surgery was done on Sep 8th, its one day shy of a month since surgery, the knee has got better, but I sure aint ready to ride yet, the Doc told me like 6months rehab, and I guess that long for the bone to heal over the screws holding the patella graft together, the first 4 or 5 days after surgery I thought god I am not going to be able to walk again, but it has got alot better, and my range of motion is about back to normal already, but need to work the leg to get it back and rehab the heck out of it, I'm looking foward to next year, and not planning to ride till then, just workout the Knee/Leg this winter and hope I will come back stronger next season. Good Luck :cry:

Bob

Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone. I've been busy getting things ready at work so I can miss the next two weeks after surgery. I guess I've never had an injury like this before and I was a little awestruck when the doc was telling me about the rehab. I love riding and can't imagine quiting, but I also won't try to make any comeback prematurely. I don't get paid to ride. Thanks again and I'll let everyone know how things are going in a few weeks. :cry:

Five knee surgeries--2 ACL's and 3 scopes. If your Doc isn't doing 100 surgeries a year, find someone else. Check with your local pro sports team as to whom they use as well as the local University hospital. And make sure the

doc prescribes the "Iceman" as described above. It's a portable ice machine in a cooler hooked up to a pump with chilled water to keep the swelling down. Rehab is dependent on you, your age and how bad you want to get back to a normal life, i.e., racing. Best of luck. One other thing, alcohol consumption during rehab slows the process down, especially with broken bones.

Lots of fruit & veggies before surgery and when on the pain meds. You definitely don't want a case of the butt stones.

And depending on your constitution Metamucil may be in order.

Good luck

Well I just had reconstruction on 073004. Injured on 070404.

It depends on how bad your ACL is. Can they fix yours? Or do they have to make you one? If they are going to make you one (reconst), then it will be longer.

I am now almost able to straighten my leg and can bend it about 107 degrees. My leg still has very little muscle and it is still painful. I figure I will have to go to the PT for hopefully another month, total of 4. I went to PT for a month before they would do surgery. I figure I won't be riding hard for at least another 6 months. I want to make sure I am healed. I just received my Asterisk knee brace's yesterday. Just getting ready :cry:

Just make sure you do your PT. Even at home, I didn't at first so now I am playing catch up.

I am still waiting to go to the airport to see how the 3 screws set off the metal detector.

Good Luck!

Thanks again for your information fellas. My ACL is toast and they will be doing an allograft (cadiverous implant). I have one of those cooler ice machines because my brother inlaw had some knee problems and bought one. I will do my rehab to the utmost and try to avoid any other knee injuries in the future. Thanks again.