Sign in to follow this  

New Valves -regular maintenance my (_(_)

$12.22 - that's how much service honda's oem spring kit is for intake valves.

$103.92 - that's how much both oem intake valves are.

$167.60 - that's kibblewhite spring kit.

I don't seem to be able to get the kibblewhite valves though tt-shop.

I've no idea how many hours is on my 02, but I finally need valves :cry: They went to 0 clearance once. I've been reshimming for a while(via fine sandpaper). I might go the cheaper route and buy oem springs and valves from service honda. Anyone just do this. I'm planning on just getting intake valves and intake springs and nothing else. I don't want to have to buy anything that can be reused. Can I hear from people who did this. Everyone's opinion welcome.

The bike took care of me during the summer, now it's my turn to take care of it. (I hear the 2006 crf will do all it's maintenance itself :cry:)

Anyway hopefully the bike will run strong for another 3 years.

thanks..

ok so $28.58 for kibble intakes.

Interesting.

Right so my next question is can I use oem springs with kibble valves. Even if they fit, say a year down the line the oem springs start loosing tension will the harder material in the steel valves make trouble if they start floating.

Has anyone tried this configuration ?

thanks..

Interesting.

Right so my next question is can I use oem springs with kibble valves. Even if they fit, say a year down the line the oem springs start loosing tension will the harder material in the steel valves make trouble if they start floating.

My info is all second hand (comes from talking to people who know what they're talking about) but my understanding is that would be a very bad combination; the OEM springs are a touch on the weak side to begin with, combine them with the heavier SS valves and you've got float city. I'd go with the KW all around, or call Ron Hamp and get the Ferrea stuff from him.

thanks..

Interesting.

Don't do that, the OEM springs barely can handle the stock Ti valves at high rpms, stress them with the heavier SS valves and you could ruin your motor with a few jaunts to the rev lmiter...it just ain't worth it....

I'll second that.

I just did a valve job for the first time on my 02.

Replaced the intake valves with black diamond valves and installed a Kibblewhite racing valve spring kit which has springs for intake and exhaust.

The stock springs are the weak link along with the stock valves. Do them both to be sure. :cry:

Do what everyone says to do. Kw or RHC intake valves and sping kit. I put all new stock valves and springs in my bike thinking they would last as long as the first set (1.5yrs). They lasted about 6-8 rides. I've talked to eveyone and read all the post on every site I could find. The best fix is the ss intake valves and their spring kit.

Buz

Some of the 02's that constantly hammered out the valves had heads that were the wrong metal. I did two 02 450's with the same situation and ended up buying new heads for both. I'd hate to see you buy new springs and valves to be right back where you started. Just my experience !

So the KW intake valves are $28.58,

the KW springs are $167.60.

How much is the RHC valves and springs setup?

mxbuz - 6-8 rides out of new valves would melt my buzz. thanks for the warning. I might have to veer clear of oem stuff in that case.

johnny - I hadn't counted on going near the valves seats. How exactly do I express my love for them. Can it be done on the cheap ? Money is an issue :cry:

Talonboy - good question. Has anyone had experience with RHC valves and springs. And what price were they ?

Ohh. If anyone knows of a particularly good valve thread that will answer all my questions could you send it my way (I haven't found one yet). I don't want to wreck everyones head if this has all been covered before.

woah cool.. never knew that you can edit a post after you post it.

New OE springs ($6 a piece), RHC valves($24 or 5 a piece)...she runs like a raped date! Sent the head out to be checked and grinded for $60.

When I pull it apart to inspect it today or tomorrow I will know if im going to stick with the OE springs...

for now...

im still looking for different ways to go about it.

160 for a set of springs is ludicrous.

I like the idea of sprayers on the valve springs so they dont heat up so bad and fail prematurely as the stock springs are doing now...

Dropping 20lb/in in spring rate over only a few hours is rediculous and a bad failure to say the least! I dont know where I got that spec from but it was posted on here a while back.

I have RHV valves and springs,but not a lot of time on the bike yet. As far as the seats, I just lapped them. You can do that with the ss valves. Give Ron a call, he'll fill you in on all you need to know.

Good Luck!

Buz

now that's what I'm talking about.

That's an affordable solution.

People in TT must have money to throw away. Why go with the kibble solution when rhc valves and oem springs will do the trick. They will do the trick, right ?

water finds its own level.

What is the price of reliability?

No knock on Ron, but KMPI has sold thousands of these kits with No issues based on their workmanship.

Save a buck, roll the dice. :cry:

don't even bug Ron just slap some trx parts in it. :cry:

What is the price of reliability?

Save a buck, roll the dice. just slap some trx parts in it. :cry:

Whats the definition of reliability?

I race with two guys running the TRX valve train...bikes still running and racing every weekend...no not 10 minute motos either...3-4 hours is a race...not a few laps.

dont knock it till you tried it. Of course companies supplying valves and springs are going to push their stuff...do some testing on your own before you knock something just becuase it is less then you paid...