USC anyone?

Well, it's time to start seriously considering colleges I want to apply to. I can't make up my mind if I want to stay near home, or go somewhere far away. I think if I go far away, it will be out west.

So I am wondering, does anyone attend (or used to attend) the University of Southern California? If so, what did you think? I have a feeling it's a little different than Alabama.

I was looking, and it looks like there is a ton of motocross stuff in the area. Not to mention almost half of the supercross series is within driving distance.

The drawback though is that it's pretty pricy.

If anyone has any oppinions, please share them with me. I hope to maybe make the trip out there and visit sometime in the near future.

Born and raised in Orange County 30 miles south of LA and you couldn't pay me enough go there. IMO anything north of OC and south of Santa Barbara is a crime ridden S*#t Hole. with the exception of a few beach cities. If I where in your shoes I would try Ventura county schools, San Diego county schools or UC Irvine in OC if you have the grades.

As far as riding goes there is plenty of desert and mountains anywhere in Southern CA.

If you end up out here PM me and we'll go riding.

Good Luck.

Jeff

I started out playing ball there in 83-83 ended up @ UNM.

There are tracks surrounding L.A. all with-in about hour.

Glen Helen,Perris,Starwest,I-5,LACR,PIRU,Racetown,Cahuilla, El cajon, etc. Also you have the desert to ride in (what little is still open)

USC are for spoiled brats.

UCLA is where you will get your education and have fun too.

- 10 minutes from the beach

- smack at the center of the entertainment industry

- nice area

- 60 minutes away from I-5 MX where they did last years 450 shootout

- 60 minutes from Gorman, a 40,000 acres riding area

- 90 minutes away from the Elsinore, Peris, and other tracks.

- One year at USA will last you 2.5 years at UCLA.

- UCLA has its own medical center with the best orthopedics doctors just in case.

- Best looking girls with brains.

Boy...I wish I can go back to my days at UCLA.

It was fantastic.

USC is smack in the middle of gang and drug area.

USC people think they are better than everyone else beaause their parents are rich.

Of course you also have decent schools such as:

- Cal State LA

- Santa Monica College (this is where foreign student go if they can't get into UCLA or USC)

By the way, can you even get into UCLA or USC?

Oh...I forgot....they will take any out of state students willing to pay three times the in-state fees. ?

But heck, if you can afford it, UCLA is the best place.

Ladies are everywhere.....40,000 students 20,000 staff and faculty...the last I heard....

USC are for spoiled brats.

UCLA is where you will get your education and have fun too.

- 10 minutes from the beach

- smack at the center of the entertainment industry

- nice area

- 60 minutes away from I-5 MX where they did last years 450 shootout

- 60 minutes from Gorman, a 40,000 acres riding area

- 90 minutes away from the Elsinore, Peris, and other tracks.

- One year at USA will last you 2.5 years at UCLA.

- UCLA has its own medical center with the best orthopedics doctors just in case.

- Best looking girls with brains.

Boy...I wish I can go back to my days at UCLA.

It was fantastic.

USC is smack in the middle of gang and drug area.

UCLA has a great campus, but their football team sucks! Go SC. Sure it's in a crappy area but at least they don't wear powder blue and gold... &%$#@!? those are cheerleader outfits ? If I had it to do all over again, I'd go to UCSB. It's right on the friggin beach! You can see the waves from class how much better can that get?

I'm a SC grad class of '92 majoring in finance. I think it all depends on what you want to study. If you are wanting to study business, film, or dentistry go to SC. There must be other strong majors there but it's been a while. Do your research. Find out what school is strong in you field of interest.

From what I remember, non california students have to pay the non resident tuition if you go to any state school (read UCLA here) which comes out to be similar to the tuition that USC charges.

Safety may be a concern but in the 4 years that I was there, I NEVER had any problems. I do admit that the neighborhood isn't exactly cozy, but the security program is really good.

One last piece of advice, don't ever trust guys that are proud to wear powder blue and yellow. They are just jealous that we are better than them, and personally, I think they have identity issues. ?

I'm not going to participate in the "UCLA vs USC" rivalry crap. It's childish. It's the education that matters.

You're going to base your education on how good the football team does? How old are you?

Just visit the UCLA and USC campus. You will decide once you see them.

I find it funny when ever the topic of UCLA-USC comes up. All you USC people ever want to talk about is football.

usc is in a bad area and ucla is in westwood a great area. both schools will give you an excellent education. ?

my vote is for ucla!! ?

I'm not going to participate in the "UCLA vs USC" rivalry crap. It's childish. It's the education that matters.

You're going to base your education on how good the football team does? How old are you?

First of all, I've made some great friends though the "childish" rivalries. I still have a beer once in a while with a couple of UCLA friends that I met because of the competition. We constantly rag on each other because of the schools and its fun.

Second of all the only person that responded to this thread that went to SC is me. I did not mention anything about the football team. Just because we kicked UCLA's butt for as long as I can remember doesn't mean that you have to be sore about it.

I don't believe that USC or any other school for that matter is a "do it all" school. Find out what you want to do and go where it is best taught.

Seems like you base your educational standards on physical location of schools. Dude, stop giving advice.

I'm 41... probably a lot older than you.... and yes UCLA has a much nicer campus in a better neighborhood. But you have to have some pride, man! In So. Cal. you are either for USC or UCLA... since their is no pro pig (thank god) you have nothing else to root for. Campus wise, it's like real estate... location, location, location. Nothing beats UCSB as far as location, you can damn near ride a wave to class. Not to mention infamous parties ?

Thanks for all of the replies. Being that I am out of state, both of them are about the same price, and super expensive.

I'm pretty certain I wont have a problem getting in to either UCLA or USC.

Right now I'm a junior in high school. I'm thinking that I want to major in an engineering of some kind, but that could change.

I haven't set my mind on anything. I'd like though to head out west. Hopefully I'll be able to go visit them.

Thanks again for the replies.

sure...

?

Go Bruins!

First of all, I've made some great friends though the "childish" rivalries. I still have a beer once in a while with a couple of UCLA friends that I met because of the competition. We constantly rag on each other because of the schools and its fun.

Second of all the only person that responded to this thread that went to SC is me. I did not mention anything about the football team. Just because we kicked UCLA's butt for as long as I can remember doesn't mean that you have to be sore about it.

I don't believe that USC or any other school for that matter is a "do it all" school. Find out what you want to do and go where it is best taught.

Seems like you base your educational standards on physical location of schools. Dude, stop giving advice.

Pick a school that has the best programs for what you want to do with

the rest of your life.

This is the truth of all truths. I grew up in Laguna Beach, about an hour south of LA, depending on traffic. If you are hell bent on going to the rat race that SoCal has become it is a toss up. USC is in downtown Watts, very scary. UCLA is a nicer campus but both schools have there ups and downs. Personally I would go elswhere to avoid taffic, crime, the mass amounts of people and did I mention the .....traffic. If you do go to school in Cali dont forget you will have to buy a new bike to get the green sticker. $6500 just got added to your cost of tuition. There are so many good schools in the western US, from Colorado, Montana, Arizona etc. Tough choice. If Cali is your destination though I would look at UCSB, and UCSD or San Diego State. All the benefits of being in southern Cali without being in LA. My.02

Hey your from the same town Jamie Thomas is from...cool!

Yeah but to answer your question, USC is a great school. The location is great and so is everything else except the price. Maybe that doesn't apply to you though. i will probably stick in state and go to UNLV or maybe i'll even go back to San Diego and attend SDSU...still havn't decided yet. I just have to do good on my SAT's.