Sign in to follow this  

Question on taking the forks apart

Ok, I'm in the process of performing the ShockDoc fork modification. On the bottom of the forks where the compression adjusting screw is....how do you remove that? With a large 14mm allen head socket? Anything unusual?

Thanks,

John

Please tell me you are not taking the forks apart with out a manual by your side. Let me check...the bible according to Kawasaki says: Clean the bottom of the inner tube. Remove the cap on the bottm of the inner tube. Hold the front fork horizontally in a vise. Stop the cylinder unit from turning by using the fork cylinder holder(special tool--57001-1573). Unscrew the cylinder valve assy, and take the cylinder valve assy and gasket out of the bottom of the inner tube. You will also need this special tool to put the forks back together. Best advice: if you have never taken a front fork apart before, do it with somone else that has right beside you. That way they can stop you before you break something expensive. Good luck, if you need pics or manual pages, I can try to scan them and send them via e-mail. If that don't work best bet is to spend the money on a manual. I ordered mine with my bike and they only charged me like $20. Best thing I ever bought with this bike. :cry: :cry:

If you use an impact wrench and a 14mm impact allen and use short burst of the impact wrench on the bottom nut while keeping pressure on the cartridge with the spring it will come right apart.

I will try to scan the pages on disassembly and assembly tomorrow afternoon. I won't be home til then. Hopefully it will help. I've never taken them apart with out the tool. When I took my forks apart I did it at my dealer along with the tech. We ride together all the time, so he hooked me up with that. Since we worked on it there we had all the special tools on hand. :cry: