Sign in to follow this  

PW50 or JR50

I am starting to look at bikes for my son. He is saying that he wants Santa to bring him one. He will 2.5 at Christmas and I think he will be ready to start learning a little with training wheels. He has been riding with me on the xr50's since he was old enough to hold his head up, and he has mastered working the throttle now.

I am looking at both the PW50 and the JR50. I like the PW, for a couple of reasons. He wants a bike like daddy has and the PW resembles my YZF more than the JR does. The Pw has also been around a long while and I know that they are tough. The only thing I don't like is that the rear brake is on the handlebar. I wish it were foot operated like on the JR50. It seems that learning to ride on a bike with controls more like the bikes you would ride later in life would be better.

If any of you guys have experience with them, chime in and tell me the pros and cons of each. Price is not a factor...both have the same MSRP.

I had very good luck with our JR50. "Limiters" can be easily removed for more zip. Easy to change gearing (not so with the shaft-drive PW). You can raise the handlebars easily with spacers as your son grows. Two-position lower shock mounts let you raise the rear, and a spacer kit (supplied) lifts the front. Your son will be growing fast, so you will really appreciate the adjustability. When he is ready, pop off the head and have it milled 50 thou (yep, 50), and the bike springs to life. You can also gut the exhaust for maximum bang (at this point it will surprise an adult rider!), and even activate the 2nd gear, but by then you will be out-running the suspension.

Plus, all little bikes like these have great resale value!

Good luck, and start saving now for his next bike!

Dan.

The rear brake on the handle bar is much easier for a young rider to learn to use. You don't realize it, but it takes some coordination to think to roll off the throttle with your right hand, then press down with your right foot. Having everything on the bars will be easier for a 3 year old. He'll need to get used to a rear brake pedal when he moves to a bigger bike, but he'll be older and have more coordination.

I had a PW50 and my boy very quickly outgrew it.

The suspension is really sad.

If you are looking for him to ride on flat ground for the next two years then it would be ok.

Two words: SHAFT DRIVE. Your son's fingers will thank you for it .

When you wanna sell it, it'll sell too...

If you are looking for him to ride on flat ground for the next two years then it would be ok.

Got a PW50 for my just turned 5 year old and the thing will pull up some good hills no problem and I don't even have the limiter the whole way out. Just took him to a track with some good natural elevation inclines and steep descents and he did great.

I like the shaft drive too, he's dumped several times now with the engine still running.

:cry:

JR50

I bought a JR for my son because I found a model that had set on the dealership floor ahwile and got it pretty cheap. The bikes are so similar that the choice might just come down to price and dealership.

That being said. The JR has been great. My son started riding at three and picked up on the back brake thing pretty quick. Also, I like the built in adjustability of the JR.