Sign in to follow this  

Handlebar Clamp Measurement

Would one of you guys(or gals) do me a favor and measure the distance in

millimeters(mm) between the front and rear bolts of the handlebar clamps?

Measure from center to center of the bolts for accuracy.

I'm looking at some bar risers with a nice forward sweep that should put the

bars where I think will be more comfortable for me. I talked to the guy,

and he needs to know if the distance is 32mm or 35mm. I measured 32mm,

and just want to make sure that is what it's supposed to be.

Here's the website...

http://www.mts.net/~andyj/barrisers/

thanks.......... :cry:

Loos like I'm gettin 35mm. Remember mine is a 04. Maybe you have a 03 and its different?

Loos like I'm gettin 35mm. Remember mine is a 04. Maybe you have a 03 and its different?

Shouldn't be different for both years. I measured it last night in the dim light. Measured 35mm.

Measured it today in daylight... 32-33mm. old eyes get tricked sometimes. :cry:

The guy makes them in 32 and 35mm, but I need to make sure before I order.

He said he'd send one and would gladly accept the return if it's not the right one,

excluding shipping of course.

Okay, I'm going back to the garage..... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Hmm-m-m-m-m........... :cry:

I have dial calipers which makes it really easy to get a close measurement.

Took one of the top clamps off. It measures 32mm center to center.

I wonder if the bolts angle out when clamped down, which would give a false reading... maybe? :cry:

I'll take a photo after dinner.

That's odd. I could measure the top of the bolt all day & not get 32. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Not going to pull my clamp off though. Are you converting?

I used a caliper and got 35. Then again I could be wrong. I cant take my Pro-tapers bar pad off, so I'm looking at it. I tried 32mm and it didn't look right. I tried 35 and it worked.

If you took the clamps off and it's 32mm, then get the 32mm. What you could do is take a piece of paper, and measure 32 mm acurately and put two dots. Then slip it under the clamp and look into the holes. If it's in the middle its a match :cry:

The guy just e-mailed me...

He says trying to measure from the center of two holes will get it close,

but won't be precise. Makes sense to me.

He said to check it from front edge to front edge for an exact measurement.

I did, and it measures exactly 32mm.

Toast, I'm using a 6 inch metal straight edge'd ruler.

Okay, finally got the first pic I took. It's not edge to edge... it's center/center...

Do you see what I see..... da da DA DA DAAAAH daaah...

eye2eye.JPG

Yep, can't argue with that. I better go back to school & there goes 230F's reputation. :cry::cry:

Yep, can't argue with that. I better go back to school & there goes 230F's reputation. :cry::cry:

Ahhhhhhhh, better make a new screen name. I should anyways, I wont have the 230 for much longer *hopefully*

That's wierd though. dirtdaddy, Isn't your bike a 04 or a 03?

That's wierd though. dirtdaddy, Isn't your bike a 04 or a 03?

It's an '03

I think the bolt heads don't land exactly centered on the bolt holes

when tightened down. Therefore you get a false reading.

Bill

How much is $80 Canadian in US dollars? Let us know how these work. They might be a nice little fix.

Has anyone tried these Big-DR bar risers on the crf230 yet? I have them on my crf250X and my sons drz-400e and we love them. I am thinking of raising the bars on my daughters crf230s - they are both now 5'10". Would the Big-DR rizer be too high for them?

Do the 32mm rizers fit the 230?

Has anyone tried these Big-DR bar risers on the crf230 yet? I have them on my crf250X and my sons drz-400e and we love them. I am thinking of raising the bars on my daughters crf230s - they are both now 5'10". Would the Big-DR rizer be too high for them?

Do the 32mm rizers fit the 230?

Haven't tried the DR risers but the 1 1/4" lift wont be too much for them. Getting taller bars (5.9" rise) is the best thing I've done to this bike & I've done a lot. I'm 5' 11 1/2". Puts me in a much better riding posture & makes the steep climbs even easier. :cry:

What 5.9" bar did you get? Is it 7/8"? How much taller is it than stock?

After I posted the question about the bar riser, I started thinking that maybe I ought to just get taller bars. One of the bikes has bent bars already, and I suspect it won't be long before the other one gets bent.

When you replace bars do you need to replace the hand grips? Or can you remove them and reinstall them without ruining them? Are you supposed to glue the grips on? If so, with what?

You do not NEED to replace the grips unless you want to. If you are careful, you can remove the left grip with out damaging it by installing a small screwdriver, nail, or the like down between the grip and the bars and squirting just about any liquid in the opening you've made. Remove your tool and the grip should be able to be removed using a twisting motion. I have also seen the use of compressed air used in the quick removal of grips. The throttle grip is on the throttle tube, so it will come off of the old bars without damage. Some do not use anything when installing new grips.(or old) I have found hairspray to work well, and I know alot of race mechanics use rubber cement, or 3M brand super weatherstrip adhesive. The latter dries quickly, so you have to position your grips very quick when using this stuff. Most pro's will also need to have their grips "safety wired" as well.

What 5.9" bar did you get? Is it 7/8"? How much taller is it than stock?

After I posted the question about the bar riser, I started thinking that maybe I ought to just get taller bars. One of the bikes has bent bars already, and I suspect it won't be long before the other one gets bent.

When you replace bars do you need to replace the hand grips? Or can you remove them and reinstall them without ruining them? Are you supposed to glue the grips on? If so, with what?

Coeshow is right. I bought grips anticipating the worst & not wanting to have to make another trip in to the shop. However they came off undamaged. All I did was grab them by the ears & pulled them off.

I got the ProTapers 7/8" bars, 5.9" rise & 3" sweep. It's actually an ATV bar. Here's a some pices: my new bars

Not sure what the stock bars rise is. I'll measure it tonight & post it.

I just used hair spray to help slide the grips on in combination with air pressure.

:cry: