Sign in to follow this  

Anyone done the Kokapelli from Fruita to Moab??

I am planning on riding the Kokapelli trail to moab the week of the 15th. Has anybody done this before? I was hoping to get some details about fuel needs and if I need to pack some fuel to make it all the way.

I mtn biked it about 13 years ago. It's about 140 miles from end to end, but the Fruita end is non-motorized. You'll probably have to start at Rabbit Valley. There is NO fuel along the way. There are NO cell areas for your phone.It is almost all jeep road with a few miles of pavement.There is no potable water. There may be a store at Cisco landing. You'll have to find out on a river rat site.I don't think there are any facilities at Westwater or Dewey Bridge either. So you are totally on your own unless you cache some stuff somewhere, or have a chase vehicle to meet you at certain points. If you have a large tank you might make all the way just fine. You'll need to find out where motors are allowed to start at the east end.

Sounds like fun. Enjoy your trip. I assume you already have a guide/map? There is printed material available at most bicycle shops.

Haven't done it but there been previous post on this and is suppost to a really boaring :cry: not a great ride, especially when utah has so much more to offer

On a totally unrelated note(sorry!), good luck at the CrossTimber Enduro Dave!

No2tracks is spot on on this. There is not much of anything out there. You better be TOTALLY self supported as there is not a damn thing between the 2 spots. Westwater ia a put in for the Colorado River and Cisco is an old ghost town like train depot...nothing there. Let us know how it goes though. If it were me I would drive to Moab and get the goods!!! :cry:

gocouture- From current feedback, it may sound like a lack-lustre ride, but it may offer some great contemplative time. Not all rides need to be balls out. I'd love to hear a report back if you do this one. Sounds like a great way to get away from the crowd.

Thanks Gary I think it's going to be a mudfest, might have to get some pointers from the Dog

Had a friend do it last summer.

Described as about as much fun as watching paint dry.

I think the Mtn. bike guys like to do it as a survival type ride and camp out in the desert.

There are two sections near Fruita that are non-motorized.

I still may do it one day, just to say I've done it.

They had a chase truck, as there is nothing out there. ALthough you can hit Top of the World and Onion Creek on the Moab end before getting to Moab.

As said above...Cisco is no more. Just abandoned buildings. Westwater has a Forest Service building, but no gas, you may be able to get water there but I can't say for sure.

It's only about 40 miles (via interstate) from Fruita so if you've used up your water by then you have bigger problems. :cry:

I've only pulled out of the river there from float trips.

Thanks Gary I think it's going to be a mudfest, might have to get some pointers from the Dog

Wettest race I have ever done was CrossTimbers 2 years ago. It rained, hard, the whole race. Luckly it wasn't to cold, was chilled at the end of the day but not froze. 75% of the course held up really well, a sandy dirt mix. 25% was a really challenge. Hard pack clay with wet on top and some really nasty mud in places.

In the end I had a blast!!!!!! Even got 1st that day. Thats one that will be in my memory banks for a long time.

Good luck and enjoy

Rex thank for the heads up, hope you and gary do well at milikin this weekend :cry:

If you think the 140 miles will be too far, I may have an idea. Take 50 south from Grand Junction to Whitewater. Take 141 west to a town called Gateway. Just past the town is John Brown Canyon. Take this road and it will hook up with the Kokapelli. I have ridden about half way once this past spring. Hard pack dirt road with lots of mud if wet. If its dry its easy riding. Great views and some old Uranium mines. I estimate it to be around 60 miles. Plenty of time to play on the way. Trails Illustrated makes a map of the area. I will probably be doing this ride with my wife this weekend. :cry: