Sign in to follow this  

Stupid question -Instrument cluster removal...

This may sound really stupid, but I was wondering if there is anything that I have to be careful with if I want to remove my instrument cluster from my 02 "S".

I understand that they are expensive as all get out. Furthermore, there is way more information than I need on there, and in the interest in making the bike more of an "E" bike, I want to lose all unnecessary parts.

Has anyone done this? I do not need indicators for high beam/low beam, or even a light telling me that my flashers are on...

Or is it like I originally stated...a really lame idea?

-MW

Nothing to worry about really - unhook it and you're good to go. BTW, the indicator light assembly is a separate piece with a separate connection if you want to keep that part...you can put the $600 computer in the closet and still retain the indicator lights.

Excellent.

By any chance, have you been out to Stockton in the past? For some reason I think that I might have met you. I was on a CRF450R, and I live in Tracy, work in Sunnyvale.

That is, you were a larger gent, real enthusiastic about riding SM...(who isn't?)

-MW

Excellent.

By any chance, have you been out to Stockton in the past? For some reason I think that I might have met you. I was on a CRF450R, and I live in Tracy, work in Sunnyvale.

That is, you were a larger gent, real enthusiastic about riding SM...(who isn't?)

-MW

I've been out to Stockton a few times...but I'm not a large gent - only about 170 @ 5'10", shaved head :cry:

Holy CRAP! You live in Tracy (God help you) and commute to Sunnyvale?!?! :cry:

I admit to being an idiot.

The good thing about Tracy is Saturday mornings! I have Sand Hill Ranch (20 min), Club Moto (15 min), Carnegie (10 min) so riding is not difficult.

In addition, now that I have the DRZ, the train tracks that head into the Altamont are like 5 minutes from my place, so just low pressure cruising in the boonies is but a hop skip and a jump for me. Plus I could afford a pool and a 1/4 acre lot. (Cannot do that in Sunnyvale/San Jose for anything under 7 figures)

Once my bike (DRZ) is setup with the FCR and 17s, I would love to head to the city. Maybe we could hook up.

Back to the topic, did you tape up the connector (i assume it was only one connector)?

-MW

I don't think I ever taped up the connector, but that's a good idea.

I'm always up for a city SM session...and I'll wave next time I blast through Tracy on my streetbike as fast as I can. J/K :cry:

after removing the instrument cluster, is it as simple as buying a universal speedo and just putting it on? do you guys think anyone would buy the cluster on ebay? (seems like most people dont need it)

after removing the instrument cluster, is it as simple as buying a universal speedo and just putting it on? do you guys think anyone would buy the cluster on ebay? (seems like most people dont need it)

They will most DEFINITELY buy the cluster on eBay. I saw one with a cracked glass sell for 250.00. No lie. :naughty: