Sign in to follow this  

O-ring Chain problem

Yea, I know, I shouldn't have bought a o-ring chain for a race bike, but I figured since it was the new Renthal R-3 with the copper roller I would try it. Well, its rubbing against my case just inside the front sprocket, any ideas on how to stop it other than getting rid of the chain ?

Search the forum. There is a spacer you can buy which will move the sprocket and chain away from the case.

Derik

Yea, I know, I shouldn't have bought a o-ring chain for a race bike, but I figured since it was the new Renthal R-3 with the copper roller I would try it. Well, its rubbing against my case just inside the front sprocket, any ideas on how to stop it other than getting rid of the chain ?

What bike?

Thanks for the info guys...but the Fastway folks told me that their spacer only fits the CRF450 and not the 250. I dont see why, seems like it would work...but thats what he said.

2004 CRF250R

Ten Racing Graphics

FMF slip on

Works Connection Perch

Renthal gears and R3 chain

Wave Rotors

TJ Gripper

k9mxer is that on an 05 or 04?...is there something different cuz if so I'll need to get a spacer as well,just waiting on a sprocket.

We are using a DID O-ring on the wife's 250X.

It's not rubbing ... but it's ver-a-h close... - rb

rtylr:

Its a 2004 CRF250R....it has definately rubbed a spot on the case after only a 30 minute first day ride with the new R3 chain. Its only about the size of a kitchen match head, maybe that one little spot is all that will ever wear, I just hate to keep riding it til oil starts spewing from the hole !! Im running Renthal 13/54.

Unless you can get a spacer, why not bite the bullet. Why damage the case over a chain. Call them, tell them it doesn't fit correctly and ask them to replace it with the R-1, which is made by Regina. They are very good chains. You will wear out the sprockets at some point anyway, so you'll probably have to replace the chain at that time. Just an opinion.

You can use the fastway 450 sprocket spacer by just cutting out a small section and then bend it to fit the 250 shaft. Once you tighten the sprocket bolt, the spacer is locked in place. I have been using one with no problem with the XSO chain.

I forgot to mention that you should check the chain guide because the o-ring is wider and will rub the inside, especially the master link which is wider. I use the 96 CR guide as someone else suggested.

How common is it for the stock chain to wear the frame? I was working on my X last night, and noticed the chain has been eating away at the frame. Maybe 100 miles since I checked it last.