Sign in to follow this  

-02 VOR 450 en generator

Hi, I need more light since it's getting darker here up north and the standard headlight is not enough, does anyone know how much effect I can pull out of the generator to use for helmet lights ?

Try to convert the tail light to LED's...that might give you a little more. I don't know about rewinding the stator :cry: Let us know what you find out :cry:

The Bike that I have (530 V-cross "02") was used at the glenn helen 24 hour ride a couple of years ago and they had 2 halegens hooked up on the riders helmet they said that it worked great and didn't kill the battery, don't know how many watt the halgens were......

Dean

System is putting out 120W, so I think you would be safe with 60W :cry:

I am no electronics expert but have read up a little regarding stator output. Stator output is usually a split system. AC for the headlamp and taillamp (regulated) and opimized AC which will be regulated and rectified into DC power to run the brakelamp,starter, idiot lamps and charge the battery. I don't know if your bike is using AC or DC on the brake lamp but they can pull 20 watts. A change to the Trail Tech LED brakelamp only pulls 1 watt.

It would be prudent to find out how many AC watts are available to your stock lighting system before you add the extra pull of helmet mounted lamps. PIAA website

The PIAA Super Plasma bulbs look good. They pull 60 watts but throw light like a 110 watt bulb.

I've almost finished my helmet light stuff, it's a home made 70W (50+20) system. I prefer to have the light where I'm looking so I will turn off the head light if the generator can't manage the load, the head light only points up in the trees or down in the mud. My rear light never worked so I save 5W there :cry: . I will come back with the test results soon.

Thanks for all replies.

/stefan

Dean, those were Pilot 55 watt H-3 driving lights that we had on the helmet. Hey they also keep your face warm. The only problem I had with them was in the dust. Kind of like looking into a blizzard with your highbeams on.

Dean, hows it going? I was hoping you would come out for the Colorado 500 last year. I missed it too and I here it rained the whole time.

Mike

actually I do remember it now, I had forgotten that you were one of the guy's there riding, How is your 450 en running since the head work? At the moment I'm still on the mend 2 more weeks untill they let me start putting weight on it........ hopefully it responds well.

Dean

Running the BeeHive enduro somewhere around the 95th mile, went to go around a guy that had fallen got tangled up in the weeds and went over bike spit me off and landed on my foot, one of those slow falls were you can't get out of the way. Long story short only broke 5 of the bone's in the arch of my right foot. Still managed to take 5th in my class though, that was the last weekend in aug. and I still have 2 or 3 weeks untill the doctor will let me put wieght on it........ but over all it had been a good riding year just cut a little shorter than I would have liked (was only 25 miles short of a 1000 single track miles for the season).

Joe made his annual trip out there, said only one of the Texans showed, He did 2800 miles on his XR400 over the 4 weeks he was in CO and another 3000 on his GS1100 ohh to be single.......

Dean