Sign in to follow this  

2004 xr250 iridium plug?

does anyone know which iridium plug to use on this bike?have seen it posted in the past.this bike can be a pain to start at times,would like to try out this before changing the pilot jet. :cry:

i don't think going to a fancy plug is going to do the job of replacing a pilot jet.

The spark on a 250 is pretty whimpy to start with , i've used platimum and reg plugs and find no difference in starting, the only difference was in the long term the platinum laster a bit longer before getting a rounded electrode.

I ride in some pretty cold weather and the pilot i unscrew 3- 31/2 t out, it should be rejetted but i can live with this , just make sure if you do this you wire wrap the pilot jet screw so it does not fall out .

A pilot jet is cheaper than a plug.

stu

Un-cork that sucker and then jet it right and it will be easy starting. Once I bored mine out to 284CC and unplugged the engine it starts first kick every time, no rejetting needed.

I run the Denso iridum plug in mine and it does make cold starts easier. The plug also gives better bottem end power and throttle response. The part number is IUH27 , most auto part stores can order them.

Good luck

Glen

Get the bike uncorked and re-jetted first as that will help the most. Then get the Iridium plug and you will be surprised at how much easier it starts.

I run the Iridium IX24 in my XR400 and I did the resister mod at the same time and the difference is huge. It starts first or second kick every time hot or cold.

Remove the plug cap and look inside, see the slot for a screwdriver? Remove the cap/screw and tip it over so it is pointing down and catch the cap/screw and small resister. Now find a stainless steel bolt the same size and cut it to the same length and replace the resister with the bolt and put it back together. Piece of cake.

The resister is there for noise issues with AM radios but since we don't have an AM radio it isn't a problem. I know several people that have done this mod on all of their bikes with no problems at all and I have not had any problems with mine and I did it a year ago.

Do this mod and use the Iridium plug and your bike should start a lot easier hot or cold, mine sure does. :cry: