Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Conversion in Florida?

I just recently purchased an inexpensive used trail fun bike (2003 Honda CRF230F) and if possible I like to get a tag for breif legal use on numbered roads in places like Ocala National Forest.

I do understand that I'll need to purchase a dual-sport kit along with DOT tires but with that business out of the way will I be able to get tag in Florida on the bike that was titled originally as a off-road only vehicle? Is there any loophole with registering the bike as a custom bike?

Thanks!

I haven't found a way to do it here in Florida. If you do please post it. Sounds like some crazy paper trail through Vermount is the only way to go, but I don't know how the process works. Sorry no help I know.

Yeah, The Vermount process is probably the easiest way. Then of course you'll need lights, and whatever else FL requires.

Yeah it would be nice to ride the serviced roads at Ocala. The Forest rangers there are &%$#@!. we've been up there two times usually park at big scrub but we went off on a ride one day and my friend had gotten a flat tire so he was riding it in the in the gullie sorta seperating the road and the whoops. Big bad forest ranger pulled up in his Hummer H1, Uhhh where does the forest service get money for an H1 By the way?, and told my friend to get out of the median regardless of whether he had a flat or not or else it was the $500 fine. Good thing that H1 is a bit slower than my bike :cry:

I understand that I could build a custom motorcycle and with no hassle be able to easily obtain a tag in Florida or any other state. Why wouldn't one be able to simply get a tag as a custom motorcycle for a dual-sport converted dirt-bike? This seems too simple?

Does anyone have the details on the Vermont dual-sporting route?

Could you please elaborate on this Vermount process for getting a converted dual sport (i.e. xr650r) licensed in Fl. I haven't tried yet, but I was hoping if I went into the FL DMV with a street titled dual sport conversion (i.e. xr650r) from another state, I could slide it right by them. Anybody got anymore info/experience with this?

AirCommando

Navarre, FL

Used to be you could just send in your info to Vermont and they would process your paperwork. A few weeks later and you have a Vermont tag. They don't do that anymore. From what I understand, they will still issue you a plate if you live out of state, but you have to appear in person at the Vermont DMV. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know because I want a new WR450.

Scott, quit bragging about your Gas Gas. It makes me jealous. :cry:

I heard the same thing Rich did that the VT method is pretty much dead.

Rich, sorry :cry:. Let's ride again soon, email me sometime.

I see XR's on the road all the time in Gainesville (at UF). Is there any other way, besides the Vermont method to get these street legal. I really need to find out because parking here SUCKS!!!!!