Abdominal Routine.

Read an article stating that crunches on an excercize ball are the most effective...side crunches on the ball are even better! The ab rocker/ab roller machines were less effective (ab rocker up to 80% less!!) than a regular crunch.

I do a set of 30 regular crunches on the ball, 30 side crunches on the ball, and 30 reverse crunches on the floor. I repeat that set 2-3 times until fatigue. Usually 4-6 times a week.

I use the yoga ball 3-4 times a week. Form is the key. I used to do 100 reps with 35 pounds on my chest, had a trainer show me a better form, now I get a better burn with 75 reps, and no weight. Plus, mix up the routine. I do 2-3 other kinds of exercises, which work different areas. Regular incline situps, twisting left and right, and the ab machine with 80-90 pounds. 4-5 days a week. Chicks dig a nice stomach, plus, clutching your back in pain isn't exactly sexy either! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone explain this medicine ball sit up thing, Ive heard of it before and i heard that its great for concentrating strictly on the abs. But for all Ive read I cant exactly figure out how it works.

As for my ab routine, I do the bicycle kick for 2 minutes, situps for one minute, then rocky sit ups for one minute (thats where you rotate at the hips after coming up) Resting about 30 sec. in between sets. I do it about 3-4 times a week

Peace

Are you meaning the Stability Ball ??

If so, here's some basics:

Abdominal Crunch on Exercise Ball

Prone Knee Pull-Ins

P.s.

if anyone is interested in reading more info on the never ending Ab controversy you can got to this study Abdominal Muscle Activity While Performing Trunk-Flexion Exercises Using the Ab Roller, ABslide, FitBall, and Conventionally Performed Trunk Curls

or read any of the reference data listed at the bottom of that study.

• 1 month later...
Read an article stating that crunches on an excercize ball are the most effective...side crunches on the ball are even better! The ab rocker/ab roller machines were less effective (ab rocker up to 80% less!!) than a regular crunch.

I do a set of 30 regular crunches on the ball, 30 side crunches on the ball, and 30 reverse crunches on the floor. I repeat that set 2-3 times until fatigue. Usually 4-6 times a week.

I've never gotten results from my ab workout until the trainer at the gym put me on that thing. The side crunches were hell but wow! are they affective.

Now if only I could get my butt back to the gym at almost 4 months.

When I was younger I worked out hard and had six-pack abs. Now I've worked my way up to a pony keg!

Seriously now, keep those abs in shape and save your back.

Good advice here! Strong ab's are a necessity to help take some of the load off your lower back. I have been working out in gyms on and off since I was 16, but after a back operation early this year, I had a 20 year old girl as my physio', who taught me how to isolate ONLY my lower ab's (right above your groin) to help strengthen my back. ALL my physio' exercises are abdominal related. One more thing, I never see them in gyms anymore, but 'side twists/ab' twists' done standing on a round rotating platform, while holding a fixed pair of sort of handlebars (i'm sure there's a simple name for the piece of equipment, but I can't think of it.....), was always good for the side obliques. ?

Never ever use reps when doing abs.Using those swiss balls are 1 of the most effective excercises by far if done right. Muscles need lots of recovery time, I do abs twice a week. ( by the way I got my workout routine from a really good bodybuilder.)Train them hard. Put weights behind your head. And make sure that you BREATH. This is the most important thing to remember when doing abs. If u hold your breath when u do abs u will make your stomach stick out because you are building them this way. Putting on muscle that you can ssee is a art form. And form is key.