Sign in to follow this  

Yosh Pipe Report and Ride Report

Product Report: I spent last weekend riding at the Hatfield-McCoy trail system in southern West Virginia, but more on that in the second part of this message. Because we were riding on forest property, I needed a spark arrestor, and what better excuse to get a new pipe. I decided upon the Yoshimura RS3 Comp Slip-On. Got a great price on it from Rocky Mountain (my LBS guy even told me to order it online since they couldn't touch the deal)with free shipping to sweeten the deal.

Here's the lowdown:

Fit/Installation: Great fit and no problems installing. This is the first pipe I have changed, and I was able to remove the stock unit and put the Yosh on in about 15 min. Keep in mind that this was just the slip on and not the entire system.

Sound: A little "throatier" than stock and slightly louder. Without actually being sound tested, my guess would be about 1-2 dB louder than stock. The guys riding with me agreed that it sounded good without being obnoxious.

Performance: Even though I only rode trails last weekend, I did notice an improvement on the bottom end and it was definietly easier to lift the front end over obstacles. Hopefully, I will make it to the track this weekend to see how it perfoms there.

Overall: So far, I would definitely recommend the Yosh Comp Slip-On. The finish detail is top notch and it made an immediate performance difference. The only weakness thus far is that I wish it were a little quieter, but that can be easily fixed with the TEC kit that Yosh sells which drops the dB's to down around 96dB.

Hatfield-McCoy Ride Report: If you get the chance, I would definietly take the time to check out the Hatfield-McCoy trails in southern West Virginia/Kentucky. We stayed in Gilbert, WV, where you are legally allowed to ride bikes and quads on the streets.

On day one, we rode from Gilbert to Man, WV via the trails and put in about 60 miles. The trails are varied (green, blue and black...same as in skiing) and our group was mixed, so we stayed on the greens for the most part. Lots of technical terrain along with some fire road cruising. The blue trails were generally a little more technical with more challenging climbs and some deep mud in places.

On day two, we drove up to a trailhead near Logan, WV and rode some trails there. These were less challenging than the stuff we rode the day before, but more wide open. The trails are tight and windy in spots, so the biggest concern was watching for oncoming quads around blind corners. We even encounterd some sandy sections which were a blast to hammer through.

All in all, it was a blast and we will definitely go back. Gilbert was a great little town with loads of hospitality and easy access to the trails. It was also refreshing to go to a place that actually welcomes riders with open arms.

Let me know if anyone would like more details on the ride and I can either post additional info or email details.

i have a yosh. full system, titanium it makes great lo mid and high end power. i'm selling the pipe for $400 and my WR250F for $4400. i got busted up and can't ride for a while

Ty

just put mine on this weekend ($350 off e-bay for the full ti trs) and installed the jd jet kit. just riding it around you can fell the extra power, but i'm going to take it to www.thelandingmx.com this weekend for a real test.

hit the landing mx this weekend. the bike flat out hauls!!! this was the first time i rode the bike with the pipe & jet kit, and i was totally impressed. the bike pulled alot harder out of corners and down the straights and the bike was so much fun to ride. for the first few laps i was over jumping almost everything. i would suggest to anybody adding an exhaust to there bike to get the jd jet kit. i've riddin many other 4-strokes with aftermarket pipes (before & after pipe install) most only going up on the main jet with stock needles. the bikes of course added extra power, but i think the jd kits no only adds extra power, but it also puts it through out the rpm range. the jd kit is an awesome additon to any pipe install, and to have tech support here in the forum, makes all you problems easier to solve. thanks jd

hit the landing mx this weekend. the bike flat out hauls!!! this was the first time i rode the bike with the pipe & jet kit, and i was totally impressed. the bike pulled alot harder out of corners and down the straights and the bike was so much fun to ride. for the first few laps i was over jumping almost everything. i would suggest to anybody adding an exhaust to there bike to get the jd jet kit. i've riddin many other 4-strokes with aftermarket pipes (before & after pipe install) most only going up on the main jet with stock needles. the bikes of course added extra power, but i think the jd kits no only adds extra power, but it also puts it through out the rpm range. the jd kit is an awesome additon to any pipe install, and to have tech support here in the forum, makes all you problems easier to solve. thanks jd

I was at Tomahawk this Sunday, what day did you go? Might have seen you up there. Anyways I was riding either my Raptor on the track were 90% of the quads are, or riding my friends dad's new 04 250F around the intermediate track breaking in the suspension.

Anyways, I think his 250F needs a pipe that mellows out the powerband and makes it more usable. As it is now, it seems kind of like a 2 stroke almost. It kind of seems once you get passed half trottle it HITS, and then you have to turn. It needs to have the power start lower in the RPM range or something.

I dunno though, im used to riding my Raptor, which is well, umm slow and boring, but it does havve bottom end to it. :cry:

And I dunno if its common or not for this to happen at tracks, but it seemed every 5 seconds some one had slid out, jumped a berm, landed wroung and fell down. You had to concetrate more on not running over down riders then worrying about the track.

But I don't think anyone was hurt all that bad, just some bumps and bruises and lost a little ego.

i was at the landing on sunday. that place is the best in our area, it gives more options for people of all skill level to ride on the different tracks so they don't get in the way of faster riders or put themselves on a track they can't handle. as for the exhaust, i think the dr d pipe has more botton end, but i really don't think you can do much about changing the powerband, except to turn it into a wr. if you would lose 2 wheels you might have a better chance of getting around fallen riders