Sign in to follow this  

Battery Life

What kind of a problem are you trying to cure? If you are experiencing short battery life, there are reasons for that. Most common is lack of full charge due to occasional use, storage, excessive current drain, starting problems, charging problems, etc. The battery used in the DRZ is adequate but not a lot of reserve.

No problems yet. I'm just thinking of that time I'm at the bottom of a ravine and my battery is dead and I can't bump start. Just like trying everything to prevent a flat tire by using heavy duty tubes or inserts.

jekylmtb1, I have a 2001s that I have kept on a "Battery Tender JR." during the winter Mos. Battery still good !

And I think it will last a couple more years yet!

???????

Not an issue really.

I used to unplug mine and then it hung down and got pinched in my steering stop. So be careful.

I never kill my engine with the button or clutch. Get in the habbit of always using the key. Then your less likely to have a prob.

Make up some beer vouchers and carry them with you. That way if you need a bump start you can always get help. :cry:

I highly recommend the battery tenders or the knock offs like them. Motorcycle Consumer News just tested a couple of them not too long ago. I have a 98 Honda VFR with the original battery! My 2001 DRZ also has the original battery. I religiously put my bikes on the tender right after I get home. I use a quick disconnect so it only takes 2 seconds.

Disconnecting the lights has no effect on the charging system, you can see this with a volt meter. The job of the regulator is to keep the voltage constant. Disconnecting, or switching between hi-low beam etc. only change the voltage reading for a split second, then the regulator re-adjusts to maintain 14 +/- volts. I was thinking of putting an on/off switch for the head light, but didn't when I realized it doesn't allow more voltage back to the battery. I do remember reading about another method that will increase the voltage but don't remember how it worked. Do a search, I think it had to do with the stator wires??? :cry: As Burned said, cranking is slightly better without the load of the lights.

Mike -