Sign in to follow this  

Want to learn something about oil filters... Read this...

I say if I'm changing my oil and oil filter after every 3 rides. Or 2 rides if they are long days, then &%$#@! does it matter. I can take whatever filter they give me over the counter that's cheap and still sleep at night. Now, if I were going to run my filter for 8000 miles like it said in the write up, then that would be different.

MHO.

The basis of this article was mostly directed towards the street bike owner, or any bike that uses a spin-on filter. There is just interesting information to learn, not intended to start a flame war on filters or oil... But I have been buying non OEM filters for my street bikes and saved 8 to 10 bucks each time, which inturn goes to a better oil.... And again I change that oil in the spring at the start of riding season and then just before winter time when it will not get as much use or any as a minimum.. Then every 1500 miles or so inbetween...

30,000 miles on my TLS with a Scott's stainless, it runs great, better than new, actually. Don't worry too much :cry:

One benefit of stainless, aside from never having to replace, is it's lack of resistance to thick cold oil when first starting the engine. Much of the wear engines experience is during cold startup. I am convinced the stainless helps minimize this.

The key is to change your oil at regular intervals. My 94 crown vic has over 150,000. I've always used walmart generic oil and Fram filters. My previous company F-250 using cheapo Fram filters had over 140,000 miles on it, and would sometimes use a quart of oil between changes. My company truck is now a 2004 power stroke and my personal truck is a 2003 Silverado. Still using Fram filters.

Thank you for the link , all info is good. The fact that you went through the trouble to find all that is awsome and I am geeting hooked on this site fast. Just bought an 04 drz dual and love it.