Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Boots

Looking to purchase a set of good dual sport boots. I want them to be protective, but not at the extreme expense of "shiftability" and comfort. Tried using some MX boots, but I'm just not happy with how wacked out I need to adjust the shifter to be able to hook the boot under it, and then how high I need to raise my foot to downshift (I ride a DRZ-400s). This is especially an issue for me when I am riding on the highway TO the trails I want to ride today.

So I'm looking at Sidi Discovery and Gaerne Explorer so far. I'd really like to hear from owners of these boots and any other ones you think I should look at, specifically how tough it is to shift quickly when wearing the dual sport boots you recommend.

I can live with some stiffness walking, but I don't want to be grumbling and fumbling while shifting on the highway when I am travelling TO the trails I want to ride.

Thanks!

Stileto,

Try out Fox boots. The top of the line Fox motocross boot is rated best by some of the magazines. It supposedly combines protection (which you want) and comfort/flexability. They will be my next boots.

I would not use anything but good MX boots because I always seem to end up laying on the ground with my bike on my legs/feet! Plus, good dual sporting puts your feet/legs at risk often and you shouldn't short-change yourself on protection.

I find that the requirement for a high shifter location comes from climbing hills in a standing position. That angle makes your shoe/boot shift the bike without trying if the shifter is in a "street" position.

Check out the Daytona Trans Open. I've had a pair for 5 years and they are protective, waterproof and very high quality. Expensive but worth it. If you talk to other people that own them they'll agree with me. There was just a thread on the advrider board that should help. Here is the link to Daytona boots.

http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore/2_transopengtx.html

Thanks Norm. I heard similar comments about Sidi FlexForce boots. Was looking at a set (not the SRS) boots the other day, they seemed real robust and protective but I was not so sure about how it would be street riding in them. They looked like they could really protect your feet well though.

I had a pair of ACR ATV boots that were really good for dual sport. They were the same height as MX boots but had lighter construction and more flex at the ankle. They also have boot soles instead of mx soles so you can walk in slippery conditions without breaking your neck.

I had this problem as well. My solution: Trials Boots. My Fox Forma Gripper boots are great. Good support, with OK protection, almost as sensitive as a road boot, flexible enough to walk in and to ride all day in. Alpine Stars trials boot are good as well.

Get the best you can afford if your going to push your limits or

ride crowded trails. Got in an accident & had on some MSR World

tours, $120 range. My footpeg crushed my foot enough for 2 surgeries...

Laid up 4-5 months so I was patient & found a used set or Alpinestar Tech 8's

Great boot, steel shank around the toebox area would have saved me

in that accident. The pair I got looked bran new & only cost me $150.

You can find them for around $200 more often, but they are a great boot.

Should have bought good boots from day one...

Heard good things about the Sidi Flex, might even be better then the Tech 8...?

Thanks for the response Kawidual. It's stories like that made me look at the Sidi FlexForce and the Tech 8s in the first place. They both appear very, very protective. Guess I just gotta figure out if I can actually ride with something like that on pavement and have enough nimbleness in my feet to be able to shift quickly and crisply. That's the only thing that stopping me with going with a full MX boot, I gotta wear them on the way to the trail.

You dont want a boot to flex at the ankle. You want a cocoon for your foot. At speed a fall is worsened by torque from all different angles. A comfy boot that flexes or doesnt have ankle protection is asking for trouble. I like the Sidi flex boots due to their inherent design flex. I cant wear the Sidi due to the size of my calf. I settled for the Tech 6. It had good protection, but it could use a full gaitor and a better seal around the top for dualsporting.

My size 11 Tech 8 and the stock DRZ shifter don't mix. I got the 1" longer shifter and have no proublems at all now.

For me Dual Sport Boots are the best MX/Enduro boots I can find. I dress for the crash, not the ride!

I went out and already changed my shifter to the 1" longer one, got it from Baja Designs, that short stock shifter was a PITA even with street boots. Guess I'll give using the Sidi FlexForce some more thought this weekend.

How about the SIDI combat boots, available at aerostich? They look really good. Heard good things. Also have been looking for trials boots (like the AStars) but nobody carries trials stuff. Makes it kinda hard to try them on. I like the sole on them, much better than the sole on mx boots.

I prefer the THOR LZE boots, they're kinda old school,(mostly leather),and the cost is good,110 bones or cheaper if you can find them on sale. but work great for me they have good protection at a affordable price. The bonus in my opinion is the lack of plastic components!!. Basiclly that means you can actually walk or hike around in them without the feeling like your wearing ski boots!!!. Keep em lubed with mink oil and enjoy. :cry:.

You cannot go wrong with the Sidi Discovery for a tough Adventure Touring boot. I don't think they are as stiff as some say- I usually wear stiff mountaineering boots(LaSportiva Makalus) when I go hiking, and the Disco's feel very similar to them. I don't have any problem walking or hiking in mine, and they provide good protection also. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw a new pair for sale in the Gear FS forum.... :cry:

I've got a pair of discovery boots. I think the Aerostich boots are based on these boots. I like them, but to be honest I've been shopping for something a bit more protective. As a dual sport/trail/fire road boot, they are perfect. Lots of protection for off-road, but some flexibiliy.

I've never noticed any problem with "shiftability" with the SIDI discovery boots.

I won't mind giving up a bit of walking comfort for a bit more protection. I'm looking at tech 8's and some of the SIDI pure off-road boots.

I'll keep the discovery boots for extra's/more street/fireroad oriented rides, probably.

I hope this helps.

scott

I'm with Desmo.

The DS riding I do is mostly off-road based and I want protection. My Tech 6's with custom insoles are very comfy with LOTS of protection.

I have a DRZ with the extended shifter, and size 13 Tech 6 Alpinestars. At first it felt a little funny shifting, but now its almost automatic. I'm sure those boots have my feet a couple times already.

a TIP : an old cowboy told me a break-in method that sounded a bit drastic, maybe even harmful, HOWEVER, I visited the Tony Lama factory once , and they confirmed it will do no harm to the boot, and is a great method ... USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT ... method as follows: stand in a bathtub full of hot water, really soak them, and walk them dry ... instant break-in ... I did it with a couple of pairs of CHEAP cowboy boots, and it worked great, (Ive never owned a good pair of motocross boots, so I can't say one way or the other) ...