Sign in to follow this  

03 yz450f

I just switched from an RM125 to an 03 yz450f. Love the torque, etc but it handles like a semi truck on a slalom course. Sag was way off and so are the forks. I dont know anything about suspensions. Anyone know someone in N.C. whose good w/suspensions or does anyone have any tips? Thanks for the help guys.

Did you get a manual with your bike? It should show you how to adjust the sag. Put your bike on a stand and measure from the rear axle hole to a marked spot on your rear fender. Take the bike off the stand and sit on it (bounch on it a few times to let it settle) with all of your weight and have someone take a measurement from the same spot on the fender. You should be at 10cm (or100mm). If there is too much sag go in from the side and use a screwdriver and a hammer to tap the top collar of the spring loose. With your hand grab the spring and twist it clockwise so the spring tightens. It may take quite a bit of turning to get it right, keep checking the measurement. After you got the measurement, pump suspension up and down and take another measurement without you on the bike, this is your static sag and should be about 2cm (compared to your measurement from when it was on the stand fully extended). If its not close to 2cm then you have the wrong spring rate. Go to racetech.com and click on the "find spring rates". Check the spring rate of your bike, then next to that spring rate there should be another link to calculate the right shock spring for your weight (same with the fork). If your forks are bottoming out you can always tighten up the compression which is located on the bottom of your forks (near the axle) under a rubber cover (or drop some heavier springs in).

Hope it helps.

Thanks Max, I appreciate the help. I had a friend at the track eyeball my sag and I adjusted it there so that's better, will measure it and get accurate. As for the front forks, I'll play w/the rebound like you suggested. Going into corners it felt like the bike was trying to buck me off. This four stroke is awesome but it's a totally different animal than my two strokes. Thanks again.