Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Lowering- Results

I am 5-7 with a 29" inseam, I sent my suspension off to devol engineering to be lowered 2", revalve and change out the compression springs, cost $485. Best money i have spent. Tight single track, knarly hill climbs in 1st gear, are now a piece of cake. Bike handles better, front end doesnt push at all, high speed stability is great, i need to play around with the clickers, the rear end seems to be slapping me in the ass more now, more rebound?, overall the suspension seems to work better now with 2"less travel, i am doing trail riding, no racing. I used a kouba on my drz, lowered the forks etc, made the bike push, made the rear to soft, made the bike handle poorly. Do it right, you will be much happier. By the way, 40 hours on my x, checked valves at 35, in spec, changed the oil at 35 hours, it is still 2/3 on dipstick. My next plans for the bike?, rekluse with rear brake lever replacing clutch, I would also like to eliminate the electric start/battery?, are their any kits for this?,, I dont see the need for electric start with a automatic clutch, especially when you can sit flat footed on the bike!

i think the pushing was due to the rear end being so soft with the stock spring, more than made up for dropping the forks, thats why it needs to be done the right way.

I'm 5'8" and have a 29" inseam and I fall over all the time on my X. I only trail ride and when I go to put my foot down in a knarly situation, half the time I just get air, then I can't stop the bike from falling over. I have a local suspension guy that says I will like riding a lot more when I can touch the gound, I somewhat agree, but all my friends tell me that lowering the rear will throw off the geometry Honda engineered into the bike so it won't handle well any longer. They tell me to learn how to ride the bike :cry: Thoughts ?

i am also 5'7 with a 29 inch inseam. i installed a lowering link im my 250r and cut down the seat foam and now the bike fits me fine!

:cry:

They tell me to learn how to ride the bike Thoughts ?

Not their bike, they don't have short legs, and its your money. Tell them get stuffed and do what ya feel. I'm pretty sure it would only make the bike handle better with a lower center of gravity. Not sure you loose any travel either as the way I understand it you just adjust ride height used to gain extra ground clearence. Ground Clearance would be biggest issue that I could think of. Problems with ruts would my biggest concern if I lowered a bike. I have same inseem as you and have thought about this for my next bike.

when you are riding up something really nasty, big loose rocks, steep, you will be amazed how much easier it is with a lower seat height,you can stab a foot and actually hit something instead of tipping over, riding will be much funner, plus it makes the bike handle better, strangely it makes kickstarting the bike fun cause it is so damn easy!, i now want to pull all the estart stuff/battery and install a rekluse and rear brake in place of the clutch, and find the nastiest stuff you can imagine. It will be the best money you have spent on your bike, but get it done right, if i was to do it again i would probably send it off to racetech and get the whole nine yards gold valves etc...

I'm also 5'7" and I had mine lowered 1 1/2" by WER. Best money spent and my bike handles better than stock. IMHO I wouldn't go with the lowering links. I would have both ends lowered and valved. Most companies will lower for no additional charge with a revalve. You will need new fork springs but the rear spring should be OK.

Ground clearance hasn't been a problem for me and I ride some nasty crap. My skid plate is pretty banged up but I just beat it back to shape. Nice not having a pipe to worry about like a 2-stroke.