Sign in to follow this  

eBay bargain bikes--any good?

eBay is awash with new dirtbikes (probably all Chinese) at seemingly bargain prices. A 200cc elec start bike with lights goes for about $900-$1000 + shipping. A multitude of brand names are offered but I suspect they're all about the same with different logos. They look to be clones of 10yr old Japanese 4 strokes. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with these bikes? I can see potential problems with spare parts availability but my primary concern is with build quality and reliablilty. I'm not looking for a racer, just a general purpose trail bike.

Personally, as well as the parts availability and craftmanship, as you stated, another primary concern would be metallurgy. You could build a bike to Honda specs, and without attention to quality metal, you'd still have a pile of junk. This is what kept me from slapping on of those 4 speed, 90cc+ Chinese motors on my sons XR70. I just don't have any confidence in the longevity of the product. If someone can prove me wrong, I'd buy one.

I was dumb enough to buy a Chinese scooter from ebay. I thought I would use it to go to the store, get a beer, go to the girl friends house etc. Did not want to warm up the dirt bike, play chase with the cops etc. What a hunk of s%*t!! Finish quailty is HORRIBLE at best. The thing has about 250 miles on it and the starter has gone, mirrors are falling apart, paint is chipping. Yes it is a chinese model that is based on a Yamaha but it is no Yamaha. The company that made it is Lifan. The largest maker of scooters and bikes in China. It is nothing but a POS :cry:, biggest waste of money I have been dumb enough to throw away in a long, long time. If you buy one, best to put some XR graphics, that is the model they copy the most, and sell it quick. Better yet give me your money and i will light it on fire...you will have a better time going that way.

anybody know anything about Kasea? Our local shop is carrying them. The 125 (looks like an XR100) goes for around $1500. I know some of ATVs have a Rotax engine in them.

anybody know anything about Kasea? Our local shop is carrying them. The 125 (looks like an XR100) goes for around $1500. I know some of ATVs have a Rotax engine in them.

I have seen them. There is a shop that just opened up in my town about 7 blocks away from my house. They are not a bad bike for half the money you would spend on a Honda. I took the 250 4-wheeler for a ride and it really rips. It is a 250 twin with twin carbs he said it was the motor from the Honda Rebel. The 125 bike I think is ok it does have a 4-valve head witch is good I think. I will try do post the link CLICK HERE Hope this is helpfull.

http://www.zuma.com.au/Motorcycles150GY.htm

Ours is red...

Here's one that we bought, brand new.

So far, not so good. Quality is certainly not real good.

First ride, 20 mins flat rear tyre. Oh well, poo happens.

Second ride, 20 mins later CANNOT GET OUT OF FIRST GEAR! selector won't shift up at all, solid block. It's still in first gear now, gotta take back to shop and see what happens. I rung them last week, and they said that the waranty works such that they inspect to find out whats wrong, supply parts and YOU fix? &%$#@!? Do they think every Jo Blo knows how to rebuild a gearbox?

So, as long as it's not too much hassle to fix this time, i'll give it another chance, and if it breaks again, or when it breaks again, it's out the door at full speed!

The frustrating thing is, we bought it brand new so we wouldn't have to fix it all the time!!!!!!!! :cry:

I'll keep you up to date on what happens with warranty.....

The dealer that sells kasea in my town says the have a 1 year warranty. But they dont have a Mehcanic and I would't let these brain dead redneck's open my beer they'd end up stripping the threads off my bottle cap. :cry: :cry: :cry:

In the same vein I'm meeting plenty of guys with Chinese made pocket bikes, and they last about 1 or 2 weeks before breaking.

I have seen them. There is a shop that just opened up in my town about 7 blocks away from my house. They are not a bad bike for half the money you would spend on a Honda. I took the 250 4-wheeler for a ride and it really rips. It is a 250 twin with twin carbs he said it was the motor from the Honda Rebel. The 125 bike I think is ok it does have a 4-valve head witch is good I think. I will try do post the link CLICK HERE Hope this is helpfull.

Thanks for the info. I've seen their site before, and there's not too much info.

A honda rebel engine, huh? A knock-off I'm sure. I used to ride my dad's honda custom 250 (same thing as a rebel, just older) on our moto track as a kid. Bullet proof engine, at least in the hands of a dumb kid!

I'm building a mini-moto track in my back field and want a couple of small thumpers. I figured I could get 2 used XR100s or something along those lines, or 2 new Kaseas for the same price. Of course new doesn't mean its better....

I'll have to look into them a little more. Our shop is run by a mechanic with 30 years experience, mostly in Honda shops. But again, it doesn't mean what he sells is Honda quality.

The Kasea looks interesting and is certainly light enough but I'd have to cobble up some lights to make it street legal.

You get what you pay for! In my experience, I haven't found anything made in China that wasn't JUNK. Everything I own that was made in China is complete garbage.

I'll gladly pay a premium for something made in the USA (or Japan when it comes to Bikes or Cars).

Take for example my tire pressure gauge. I inflate my car tires to 32 PSI. A week later, I checked them and I get readings on all four tires from 28-45 PSI. I'm awaiting delivery of a SNAP-ON gauge, made in the USA!

I'd trust one of the Soviet BMW clones from the early 80s over any of the chinese bikes.

Yes it is a chinese model that is based on a Yamaha but it is no Yamaha. The company that made it is Lifan. The largest maker of scooters and bikes in China. It is nothing but a POS :cry:, biggest waste of money I have been dumb enough to throw away in a long, long time. If you buy one, best to put some XR graphics, that is the model they copy the most, and sell it quick. Better yet give me your money and i will light it on fire...you will have a better time going that way.

LMFASSOFF!

:cry:

ESP. the part about it being more like an XR, freakin hilarious. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bought a 3 month old CRF250X with 60 miles on it off eBay and I have not had one problem. The bike was like new. I would much recommend buying a good name brand, nearly new on eBay, as opposed to one of those Chinese junks. Think about after market parts and parts in general. The more mainstream you are brand wise the more choices you will have. Besides who wants to be seen riding one of those POS!! :cry::cry:

I was dumb enough to buy a Chinese scooter from ebay. I thought I would use it to go to the store, get a beer, go to the girl friends house etc. Did not want to warm up the dirt bike, play chase with the cops etc. What a hunk of s%*t!! Finish quailty is HORRIBLE at best. The thing has about 250 miles on it and the starter has gone, mirrors are falling apart, paint is chipping. Yes it is a chinese model that is based on a Yamaha but it is no Yamaha. The company that made it is Lifan. The largest maker of scooters and bikes in China. It is nothing but a POS :cry:, biggest waste of money I have been dumb enough to throw away in a long, long time. If you buy one, best to put some XR graphics, that is the model they copy the most, and sell it quick. Better yet give me your money and i will light it on fire...you will have a better time going that way.

Man, reading that p!ssed me off. I can't imagine how you feel, sounds like you had some good intentions and werent really even expected much from the POS. Sux.